Does Click-to-Run make sense?

CData
3StarLounger

Does Click-to-Run make sense?

Post by CData »

"https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/lib ... 19427.aspx"

Virtualization/streaming - - but then it is local on your pc - - so the virtualization/streaming is just a temporary state during download only I guess

Start to use a product before it is fully downloaded: is that really such a virtue? is one in such a rush to use a product?

Use different versions of Office on same PC: but in the article 'Best Practices' it reminds us to NOT use different versions on same PC

What am I missing here? I clearly don't get it......

HansV
Administrator

Re: Does Click-to-Run make sense?

Post by HansV »

I think the "use it before it is fully downloaded" is just marketing speak.

One advantage of the Office 365 version is that you get new features every month.
Best wishes,
Hans

Jay Freedman
Microsoft MVP

Post by Jay Freedman »

HansV wrote:I think the "use it before it is fully downloaded" is just marketing speak.
Well, sort of... In the normal operation, the C2R engine decides the order in which files are downloaded. If you start using one of the programs, though, C2R will download that program immediately (or at least enough of it to get it working) and then get the rest of them.
HansV wrote:One advantage of the Office 365 version is that you get new features every month.
That's touted as the main advantage -- you don't have to wait 3 years for the next major version and then learn all the new stuff in one lump. From Microsoft's point of view, the other main advantage is that they can sell Office as a subscription that gives a continuous cash flow; with the perpetual license model, you paid once and possibly never again.

The other thing CData mentioned was different Office versions on the same PC. Microsoft recommends that you don't -- but there's really nothing that prevents it. I think MS just doesn't want to deal with the support issues when people don't know what they're doing and get it messed up.

You do have to be a little careful to keep the versions separated (e.g., use a different Templates folder path for each version, and use the NoRereg registry entry to prevent them from stepping on each others' settings), and you really can run only one version of Outlook per PC. But this very machine has Office 365 (2016), 2013, and pieces of 2010, 2007, and 2003 loaded side by side. They can even be used simultaneously.

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

The Office servicing mechanism is different with click-to-run. You are never more than one update away from the most current version of Office for the servicing branch you have. See Click-to-Run for more information on click-to-run.

Joe
Joe

CData
3StarLounger

Post by CData »

I am fully Microsoft oriented but one of the new and chronic issues is the confusion factor around everything 365. It is to me quite confusing and I try and understand these things.

I myself like the subscription model with Office 365 that downloads to 5 PCs for $99/yr. Its great since I have 2 desktops and 2 laptops. I have no problem with continuous updates/bug fixes as it now happens - - but really am not interested in continuous new features; I want them bundled into a referenced new version i.e. 2016 or 2017 - - not dribbled out by build #...again it is the confusion factor since I have to deal with users with all sorts of editions/versions. .... just my 2 cents

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

I'm not sure which update channels are available for retail Office 365 but if you can set the update channel see Overview of update channels for Office 365 ProPlus. The Deferred channel gets features every 4 months while still getting security updates monthly.

Note the methodology to set the update channel.

Joe
Joe