Office 2016 is Kicking my Derriere

BobH
UraniumLounger

Office 2016 is Kicking my Derriere

Post by BobH »

I haven't been able to find the control for switching from portrait to landscape. Many of the fonts I have relied upon in the past (esp. MS Comic Sans) are nowhere to be found. That's just for starters.

Is there a good online wiki for Office 2016?
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Intel Core i5, 3570K, 3.40 GHz, 16 GB RAM, ECS Z77 H2-A3 Mobo, Windows 10 >HPE 64-bit, MS Office 2016

HansV
Administrator

Re: Office 2016 is Kicking my Derriere

Post by HansV »

Word has a Layout tab of the ribbon that contains buttons for setting the page orientation, page margins etc.
For Excel, it is the Page Layout tab.
S1001.png
Comic Sans MS should be available from the Font dropdown on the Home tab of the ribbon:
S1000.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Best wishes,
Hans

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Thanks, Hans!

I got over those humps!

Rather than come here bothering you and everyone else while I'm adjusting to the new ribbon approach, I will happily read articles and wikis. I haven't found one yet that looks promising for getting me from my Office 2010 mindset to the 2016 mindset.

If anyone knows of a good read on the subject, I'm all ears.

:cheers: :chocciebar: :thankyou:
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Intel Core i5, 3570K, 3.40 GHz, 16 GB RAM, ECS Z77 H2-A3 Mobo, Windows 10 >HPE 64-bit, MS Office 2016

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

If you don't know how to do something like change fonts then just type in the "Tell me what you want to do" box
Tell me what you want to do.png
Here's what happens if you type Font into that box...
Font.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
StuartR

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Thank you, Stuart!

And thanks for the pics from the long bridge!
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

Hi Bob,
BobH wrote:...I haven't found one yet that looks promising for getting me from my Office 2010 mindset to the 2016 mindset...
There isn't much documentation/articles out there that compare or migrate one between these two versions. Fundamentally, they are very similar...only improvements and updates adding minor changes to the ribbons and interface. If you have used Office 2010 and were comfortable with it, you will (or should) feel quite at home with Office 2016.

Here is some things you can scan through regarding Office 2016 New Features:

1. Screenshot Tour: What’s New in Office 2016
2. What's new and improved in Office 2016
3. Some very handy Office 2016 Quick Start Guides
4. Try out the Office Training Center and work through some videos and training aids to learn about these apps
Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.

Jay Freedman
Microsoft MVP

Post by Jay Freedman »

To go from Office 2010 to 2016, the "what's new in 2016" articles aren't quite enough. A lot of things changed from 2010 to 2013, which those articles would omit. First go to What's New in Office 2013 and similar articles that Google will find.

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Thank you, Gentlemen!

That's what I was looking for. The leap from 10 to 2016 is a bit daunting without the interim step.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

Rudi wrote:... Fundamentally, they are very similar...only improvements and updates adding minor changes to the ribbons and interface. ...
Hi Rudi.
:rantoff: Since Office2007 was announced I have found that the changes (including the example offered by Bob) are a major problem.
Indeed my experience has been that most of the buggy program code in Office 97, 2000, etc have been ported directly into Office2007, 2010, 2016, and only the User Interface has changed.

In essence that means that experienced users are presented with hurdles, if not obstacles, put in their way by the new interfaces.
I found it MOST frustrating to be phoned by a user with Office2007 asking for help.
In the past the keystroke sequence could be dictated over the phone - "Choose Insert, Reference ..." or "Use Alt-I, N, ..." - but in a flash all the coaching I used to do, sight unseen over the phone went out the window. "I don't HAVE a menu on this computer ...!".

Not just the ribbon of 2007+ but even the menu/keystrokes interfaces going from 97 to 2003 (It's now "Insert, reference, ...").
I consider it to be just another demonstration that Microsoft is a Sales&Marketing company, but a very poor software company.

It's all reminiscent of the evolution of tail-fins on cars back in the 50s.
Pretty, maybe, but useless and added extra weight which did nothing for fuel economy ... :rantoff:

P.S. I am aiming to restore the "rant" balance.

P.P.S I note also the post Version Number? also from BobH
An expensive day out: Wallet and Grimace

DaveA
GoldLounger

Post by DaveA »

Chris,
You forgot all of the "Right Clicks" that was done away with.

I miss them most in PowerPoint!
I am so far behind, I think I am First :evilgrin:
Genealogy....confusing the dead and annoying the living

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

Many of the keyboard shortcuts are the same. You can easily search support.office.com for each product. Or search the interwebs for a comprehensive guide for all Office 2016 desktop products.

Joe
Joe

Jay Freedman
Microsoft MVP

Post by Jay Freedman »

All the versions from Office 2007 onward still honor the keyboard shortcuts from Office 2003 and earlier, as well as the new ones. The difference is this: If you press the Alt key and the first accelerator together, you're in the old set of shortcuts. If you press and release the Alt key, then you're in the new set.

To take the Insert example, press Alt+I together, then N and then C to open the Insert Caption dialog. This still works in Word 2016. But if you press and release Alt, then you have to follow the scheme of the tabs -- press S for the References tab and P for the Insert Caption button. (It isn't even on the Insert tab!) The tabs show the accelerator letters in little black squares as you go.

All of the Alt+T shortcuts for things that were on the Tools menu still work, even though there is no tab that corresponds to the Tools menu. For example, Alt+T, O will open the Options dialog, and so will Alt+F, T.

Admittedly this is hard to explain in a phone conversation, especially with someone who has little experience with most of the Office programs.

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

JoeP wrote:Many of the keyboard shortcuts are the same.
Joe, I quite agree.
Indeed, that was one of my first observations of Office2007 - that when I used my familiar Alt-letter sequences to pull up what used to be menu items, they almost all worked. That made me think that nothing had really changed behind the UI.

My/our problems with the UI is that when I was on telephone support, the person at the other end couldn't readily see the "File" menu (on which the keyboard sequences were originally based) appearing when I said "Alt-F"; the ribbon added a layer of confusion for the user. And a layer of frsutration for me. :cheers:

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

Jay Freedman wrote:Admittedly this is hard to explain in a phone conversation, especially with someone who has little experience with most of the Office programs.
Thanks Jay; you will have seen my brief reply to Joe.
I did notice a great difference once people at the other end were using Ribbon instead of menus.
The Ribbon did not (as you point out) match my spoken commands.
With the old menu system, I could quickly point out the the F in File was underlined, as was the O in Open, and that was why we were using Alt-F, O; and from that the user could, if they chose, self-educate.
(I don't want to say "self-educate themselves" !)
:cheers: