Product Key without CD

BobH
UraniumLounger

Product Key without CD

Post by BobH »

Last July, I let Windows 10 destroy my desktop system. I have not yet fully recovered everything. My backup strategy was flawed and I had to reinstall everything from scratch. One of the things I lost was Microsoft Office. I have the product key but do not have a CD to install from. I might have the files necessary on one of my hard drives, but I have no idea what to look for.

So . . . is it possible for me to get MO reinstalled? If so, how would I go about it?

:cheers: :chocciebar: :thankyou:
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

HansV
Administrator

Re: Product Key without CD

Post by HansV »

Which version of Office? You may still be able to download it from Microsoft. For example:
Office 2007 download
Office 2010 download
Best wishes,
Hans

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Thanks, Hans!

I tried the link and gave it the product key but it refused it. The license was an employee group plan license, and is apparently no longer valid.

Do you know the file names of the files I downloaded when I installed the app? I'm reasonably certain they still reside on a hard drive but I have no idea what file names to look for.

Thanks again!
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

The installer is probably a .msi file, with "office" somewhere in the filename...
Best wishes,
Hans

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

BobH wrote:..The license was an employee group plan license...
Do you mean it was purchased through Microsoft Home Use scheme?
http://www.microsofthup.com/hupus/faq.aspx

Ken

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

stuck wrote:
BobH wrote:..The license was an employee group plan license...
Do you mean it was purchased through Microsoft Home Use scheme?
http://www.microsofthup.com/hupus/faq.aspx

Ken
Yes, Ken! Thanks for the link.

My wife has retired since buying into the scheme. Her product key no longer works. I'll call the administrator at her former office and ask about it.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

I'm actually in the process of purchasing Office 2016 Pro under this Home Use scheme. I happened to read up on the scheme and the licensing and noted this one entry that might relate to you...It's found under the Products, Licenses and Options tile in Ken's link.

Q: Are the Home Use Program products different from the retail version?
A: The functionality of the products available via the Home Use Program matches those of retail versions, and provide all the benefits you would receive if you bought it at the store. However, your right to use this software is tied to your organisation's continued Software Assurance coverage and your continued employment with that organisation. Your employer will notify you if their Software Assurance coverage expires.

It might still be best to contact the administrator at your wife's former office and ensure that it can still be used.
Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Thanks, Rudi!
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

Rudi wrote:I'm actually in the process of purchasing Office 2016 Pro under this Home Use scheme...
In which case I recommend that you also take up the offer to buy the backup DVD, that way you will always have a genuine master DVD from which you can reinstall. I've done that for each of the HUP purchases I've made.

Ken

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

TX Ken,

It's my first purchase using this option/scheme.
I appreciate the insider info. :cheers:
Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

You can of course just burn the download to your own DVD but why bother when you're paying so little? Yes, the cost doubles by buying the DVD as well but two times not very much is still not very much.

Incidently, I've never bothered downloading anything either as I've never been in a rush to install anything. The DVDs have all arrived in the post fairly quickly (10 days max perhaps?) so I've installed from them.

Ken

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

BobH wrote:My wife has retired since buying into the scheme.
I think the HUP EULA says that you're only legal if you're still employed by the company through which you obtained the software but I'm not sure how MS can check that you are still employed by that company and thus know to block your key. I can't see MS requiring / maintaining some sort of huge db to which companies in the HUP must regularly submit personnel lists.

Are you sure you didn't get a typo in the key when you entered it at the links Hans gave?

Ken