Changing Office 2013 Update Method

1c3
NewLounger

Changing Office 2013 Update Method

Post by 1c3 »

Because of vision problems I had to go to a new notebook about a year ago. The Office 2013 installed on my Win 7 Pro notebook only provides the options of [1]not receiving updates or [2] having them automatically received and applied. I would prefer to have them provided like [my wife's] Office 2010 via Windows Update on my notebook.
This would prevent issues such as the recent KB 3114717 [that I presume has been applied to my p.c.] Can I change this? [Thank You for your help and/or response].

HansV
Administrator

Re: Changing Office 2013 Update Method

Post by HansV »

Welcome to Eileen's Lounge!

Do you have the subscription version of Microsoft Office 2013 (i.e. Office 365), or the stand-alone version?
Best wishes,
Hans

1c3
NewLounger

Post by 1c3 »

I have the Toshiba supplied stand-alone where they provided a key code to use when installing. [ NOTE: I do not like using the cloud so while I registered my copy, I did not get into anything beyond just minimum setup].

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

I assume that you see the options to automatically apply updates or disable updates in File > Account > Update Options.
You could try disabling updates there. You should still be able to get updates through Windows Update - make sure in the settings for Windows Update that it will look for updates for other applications besides Windows itself. Don't set Windows Update to update automatically or to download updates automatically. Let it notify you when there are updates instead.
Best wishes,
Hans

1c3
NewLounger

Post by 1c3 »

THANK YOU, Sir. I will try this and will let you all know if that resolves it. Respectfully!

1c3
NewLounger

Post by 1c3 »

Dear Hans, I did manage to go to Word and disable automatic updates as per your instructions. I was also then able to see where it listed my current version for Office 2013 [version 15.0.4797.1003] which was from an update applied on Feb Patch TU 02/09/2016, and I saw a reference article said that it did include the KB3114717 that has since been recalled. It then [further] indicated which updates were included and said to run Appwiz to view installed updates and choose uninstall to remove it. I used RUN to open a Dos prompt and run Appwiz but was unable to actually remove anything. Apparently the Version of Office 2013 Toshiba sold me may have been what MS calls the "Click to Run" release rather than the MSI as an uninstall option was not offered? Maybe it is because I am old and not up to date on current technology but I have no ideal where that leaves me. Do you think that if I leave the automatic updates disabled that I will be able to see new updates if I wait till March Patch TU to check for them? I'm also still not sure what I can do about the KB3114717 or what the difference is between the "Click to Run" that it appears I may have been sold and the "MSI" release that sounds like what I thought I was getting? Again, I apologize for being so uninformed [ignorant]. Any suggestions or explanation you or others could give me would be greatly appreciated. I remain, Respectfully

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Here is an article about the difference between the two and how to switch between them: MSI vs Click To Run Office installations – How to switch.
Best wishes,
Hans

1c3
NewLounger

Post by 1c3 »

Thank You, Sir!

Jay Freedman
Microsoft MVP

Post by Jay Freedman »

The KB3114717 patch was recalled because “it causes Microsoft Office 2013 apps such as Microsoft Word and Microsoft Outlook to slow down or freeze.” http://windowssecrets.com/patch-watch/r ... get-win10/ However, it doesn't do that to every Office 2013 installation -- I have it installed, and the Office 2013 programs are still working properly. If you don't see the problem, don't worry about removing the patch. When Microsoft re-releases KB3114717, the new patch will overwrite the old one.

1c3
NewLounger

Post by 1c3 »

What you have indicated is the same thing I had gathered from a Susan Bradley Windows Secrets article; that MS should be coming out with a replacement patch/update for this, but as I really don't want to have the MS Office updates installed automatically I guess I will still try to remove the Click and Run so that I can get the regular Windows Updates for Office 2013. Thank You for the taking the time to inform me Jay!

1c3
NewLounger

Post by 1c3 »

THANK YOU ALL! for your kind assistance. At this point I wish to mark this post as successfully closed [but I can't seem to find where to indicate this, so if you would do me the last favor of marking this for me and closing it I would be most grateful. 1c3

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Glad your problem has been solved. We don't mark threads as 'closed' or 'solved' on this board; your reply is sufficient.
Best wishes,
Hans