Office 2016 updates made QAT and other buttons bigger

Rudi
gamma jay

Office 2016 updates made QAT and other buttons bigger

Post by Rudi »

Hi,

Can I confirm if this is experienced by other loungers running Office 2016 after recent updates? Has the QAT buttons and the MIN, MAX, Restore buttons become larger? The buttons are much more spread out and have a wider border around the icon image. (Not nice!!)
(BTW: This is not due to Touch Mode being active).

TX
Image 1.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.

HansV
Administrator

Re: Office 2016 updates made QAT and other buttons bigger

Post by HansV »

I haven't noticed a change recently. The QAT buttons are further apart in Office 2016 than they were in Office 2013. This was done to make the QAT buttons easier to click on a touchscreen, but this decision has been widely criticized.
Best wishes,
Hans

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

OK. Hmmm!
Before the updates they were shorter in height (like a standard title bar), now they are about 2mm-3mm taller. Also the gap between them was half less than it shows in the screenshot above. Anyways, I'm not complaining; just interested to know if others on Office 2016 have experienced this anomaly.
Regards,
Rudi

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

I've seen the same thing as Hans. According to a response at Fix QAT buttons spacing Microsoft has started working on this. What that really means is anyone's guess.

Joe
Joe

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

At least your link confirms my query.
Tx Joe.
Regards,
Rudi

PJ_in_FL
5StarLounger

Post by PJ_in_FL »

<strong sarcasm alert>

What it means is that one of the five people world-wide that actually use a touch-screen to do real (i.e. MS Office) work complained about the tiny QAT buttons, so the other 95,499,549 of us using Office get to suffer.

The one user must formerly have been in the MS Vista development team and now has allegedly moved over to MS Office development. Apparently this "top-notch" team are responsible for creating the wonderfully colorful, intuitive and quick Office365 (Office 2013, etc.). They're following right along in their Vista and Win 8.0 legacy of "wonderful" releases.

As you might have guessed, I'm SO HAPPY our IT "upgraded" everyone from Office 2007 to Office 365. I wrote about 5000 words in response to their request for feedback telling them just how happy I was with light blue on light gray color motif that was unchangable, myriad instances of "Not responding" doing previously routine stuff, Winword consuming 150+MB of memory to open a 26K byte document, and other fun and silly things that make Office at the office so much fun these days ..... :barf:

Yeah, I'm really enjoying every new "feeture" that gets dumped on us these days.....

</strong sarcasm alert>
PJ in (usually sunny) FL

Jay Freedman
Microsoft MVP

Post by Jay Freedman »

JoeP wrote:I've seen the same thing as Hans. According to a response at Fix QAT buttons spacing Microsoft has started working on this. What that really means is anyone's guess.

Joe
I've been in the Office 2016 Insider program since November 2014. Initially the spread spacing of the QAT buttons was only in Touch Mode. It wasn't until very late -- maybe a month before RTM (Release To Manufacturing) -- that it was made permanent in both modes. My fellow testers and I let them have it with both barrels, but it got no response. Now they have a PR problem to deal with.

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

Let me just reiterate that the QAT spacing (and size) were perfect before I run the most recent Windows/Office updates yesterday. After the updates and a reboot, I opened an Office app and one of the first things I noticed was the enlarged close button (top right) and then the huge gaps between the QAT buttons. I actually went to check if I was in touch mode, but I wasn't. I truly hope this is not a permanent change and that it will be remodeled soon.
Regards,
Rudi