live shortcuts

agibsonsw
SilverLounger

live shortcuts

Post by agibsonsw »

I've been give the following brief description, with no other details. If is supposed to be about Office 2007 although it seems more of a Windows request:

"• Open a file, directory / folder from the desktop and create a desktop shortcut icon and have this sync to existing files to update both the shortcut and original file rather than just making a shortcut"

Does this mean anything to you? As far as I know a shortcut is a shortcut. Is there some special way of creating a shortcut that I don't know about?

Sorry about this odd question, but, as I say, I have no other information.
"I'm here to save your life. But if I'm going to do that, I'll need total uninanonynymity." Me Myself & Irene.

HansV
Administrator

Re: live shortcuts

Post by HansV »

Best wishes,
Hans

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

The first thing that came to mind was Briefcase which can synchronize files; although I'm not sure it it is still available in Win 7 and Win 8?
Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.

agibsonsw
SilverLounger

Post by agibsonsw »

Thank you both.

As I recall, Briefcase was an Office feature, but I believe it was abandoned a while ago (before Office 2003?).

For the symlinks, I won't be installing anything, this is just for me to instruct some users: I won't have any admin access to install anything, and I don't think users will be using the command line for anything. (I doubt that they will be allowed near a command line! :evilgrin: )

Maybe they have the symlink/ LinkShellExtension already installed. In which case, I can confirm this with them tomorrow.

The only other thought that occurs is maybe the Libraries feature of Windows 7. Is/was this like "live shortcuts"? I'm on Windows 8 so can't test this, as it also was abandoned.

Cheers, Andy.
"I'm here to save your life. But if I'm going to do that, I'll need total uninanonynymity." Me Myself & Irene.

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

Libraries is not abandoned in Windows 8...its just hidden.
Regards,
Rudi

agibsonsw
SilverLounger

Post by agibsonsw »

Thank you. Mind you, going back to the original quote, they are talking about from the Desktop, so they cannot mean Libraries.

Ah well, I suppose I'll find out tomorrow. At least it wasn't that I was missing some Windows knowledge ;)

agibsonsw
SilverLounger

Post by agibsonsw »

Just an update: Turns out it was just simple shortcuts that she was talking about. I believe they were copying files to their desktop, failing to use their Home/personal Drive and (if required) create shortcuts that point to this location.

Regards, Andy.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Oh... :shrug: :grin:
Best wishes,
Hans

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

It's amazing how miscommunication can turn something simple into something quite complex. On the other hand, it could lead to some great inventions/improvements :grin:
Regards,
Rudi