Pin .XLSM file (or shortcut to it) to taskbar

Robie
5StarLounger

Pin .XLSM file (or shortcut to it) to taskbar

Post by Robie »

Hi

This may be totally stupid question so apologies in advance.

I have created a spreadsheet which I need the users to use. I don't want them to create theie own copies, etc.
Anyway, I was thinking that if I could pin this spreadsheet to their taskbar then all they have to do is click it and it open up. I looked at various options like right-click on the XLSM file or the shortcut file - no Pin to taskbar option. :groan: No option to pin anything to taskbar under Properties either. I can't drag the thing onto taskbar either - it won't allow it.

Thanks.
Robie

Rudi
gamma jay

Re: Pin .XLSM file (or shortcut to it) to taskbar

Post by Rudi »

See if this advice will help...

By default the taskbar only takes executable shortcuts.
If you have an executable, you can then add files associated with that executable to the icon and create jump lists. You can even pin files in the jump lists to avoid them disappearing off the list. I have not tested it, but the link above allows for the file to be directly added to the taskbar by tricking Windows to assume it is an exe.
Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.

Robie
5StarLounger

Re: Pin .XLSM file (or shortcut to it) to taskbar

Post by Robie »

Rudi wrote:See if this advice will help...

By default the taskbar only takes executable shortcuts.
If you have an executable, you can then add files associated with that executable to the icon and create jump lists. You can even pin files in the jump lists to avoid them disappearing off the list. I have not tested it, but the link above allows for the file to be directly added to the taskbar by tricking Windows to assume it is an exe.
Thanks Rudi.
I will take look.