Office 365?

Carol W.
3StarLounger

Office 365?

Post by Carol W. »

I'm looking for as much information as I can find on Office 365. I'm a new member of a nonprofit committee that has put out a request for proposal for an Office 365 email migration. I searched this board but was unable to come up with anything related to Office 365. Maybe I didn't search correctly.

Unfortunately, I don't even know the format of the existing email files or even if they're resident on an Exchange Server. I think not but I'm not sure.

Any general information on such a migration would be appreciated.
Carol W.

HansV
Administrator

Re: Office 365?

Post by HansV »

Office 365 is basically the subscription version of Office 2013 - you "lease" the Office 2013 applications from Microsoft. The file formats are the same as those for Office 2010 and Office 2013.
Best wishes,
Hans

Carol W.
3StarLounger

Post by Carol W. »

Thanks, Hans. I'll continue to research email migration strategies.
Carol W.

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

You can start with Office 365 Nonprofit. See Office 365 Nonprofit plans and pricing for more information.

If I misinterpreted that you are working for a non-profit organization there is similar information for other businesses starting at Office 365 for business.

Joe
Joe

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

For migration information you really need to know the current email setup.

Joe
Joe

Carol W.
3StarLounger

Post by Carol W. »

JoeP,

Thanks for the replies. The organization will be hiring a consulting firm to do the email migration to Office 365. I'm a technical person by nature so I'd like to be able to understand what the consultant is proposing to do.

And, yes, this is a nonprofit organization.
Carol W.

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

If the current setup is Exchange based migration can be very easy using the built-in Exchange tools as long as it is a fairly recent version of Exchange. Do you know if it is a domain based setup? Is this for email only or will it include SharePoint too? Possibly the Office desktop programs too?

Joe
Joe

Carol W.
3StarLounger

Post by Carol W. »

JoeP,

There is a domain involved but the organization needs to get control of it first. That has to be done before the email migration.

There is a task in the proposal that says "export archive mail to pst". Doesn't sound like Exchange to me but I'm really not sure. I probably will know more next week.

Thanks.
Carol W.