Returning to the Office Classic Menu?

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Returning to the Office Classic Menu?

Post by hlewton »

Does anyone have any experience with either of the programs listed below. They are supposed to turn the Office ribbons into the classic menu that was used in Office 2003 with the newer commands available in the new versions of Office, I guess. The first one listed is not free but apparently, if I am understanding their WEB site, UBitMenu is free for private use. I will include a link to each site in case anyone is interested in them but I would like to know if anyone has any opinions good or bad about them.

Thanks.

Classic Menu for Office 2010 and 2013 http://www.addintools.com/index.html
UBitMenu for Office 2007, 2010 and 2013 Shortcuts http://www.ubit.ch/software/ubitmenu-languages/
Regards,
hlewton

HansV
Administrator

Re: Returning to the Office Classic Menu?

Post by HansV »

The first one is $29.50 according to Purchase Classic Menu for Office 2010 and 2013.

I have no experience with either of those add-ins, but I recommend not using them. Even though you may not like the ribbon, it is here to stay, so it's better to get used to it. You'll find that it'll become familiar over time.
Best wishes,
Hans

Rebel
4StarLounger
Location: Recently moved to Bracebridge - in the heart of Muskoka.

Post by Rebel »

I agree with Hans (get used to the Ribbon - it is not going away).

If you insist on the "classic menu" look, then the UBit Menu is excellent. I installed it early on in my Office 2007 experience, but after deciding to give the Ribbon a fair chance, I much prefer the Ribbon and I uninstalled UBit.
John :canada:
A Child's Mind, Once Stretched by Imagination...
Never Regains Its Original Dimensions

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

Thanks Hans. I did see the price but can get it slightly cheaper when buying 2 to 4 copies of it, which is what I'd need.

Also thanks for the input. I am getting a little used to the ribbon but at times it is still difficult to find what I am looking for. I was already apprehensive about using it since I have no idea how merges would be done or if I could revert to the ribbon. I have not yet found that information. Though they weren't really recommended I got the links from the Office For Mere Mortals newsletter I still get. Actually that is the only reason I even followed the links.

On a little side note, I did have a shortcut that allowed me to click on any Office program and see the comparable Office 2003 steps. For some reason that site no longer works but it did point me to where the individual program guides could be downloaded. It is probably the same site where you pointed to a while back in one of the threads. That one I had which had all the links was convenient but I guess MS decided it no longer was necessary. I assume it was MS since it is an Office support site but could be wrong. Whoever it was removed the clickable links from the site. Wish they hadn't.
Regards,
hlewton

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

Rebel wrote:I agree with Hans (get used to the Ribbon - it is not going away).

If you insist on the "classic menu" look, then the UBit Menu is excellent. I installed it early on in my Office 2007 experience, but after deciding to give the Ribbon a fair chance, I much prefer the Ribbon and I uninstalled UBit.
Thanks Rebel. Not sure why this post jut now showed up for me but for some reason it was not here when I replied to Hans. I even got two email notices even though it now appears this was posted before my reply to Hans. Even the time stamp shows you posted first ahead of my reply so not sure what is going on but all is well now. I was not ignoring you, I swear.

This is the kind of input I need and can't say I disagree with either of you. Just a follow up since you did use Ubit. Did you have to uninstall it in order to get the ribbon back? There was no way to switch back and forth, right?
Regards,
hlewton

Rebel
4StarLounger
Location: Recently moved to Bracebridge - in the heart of Muskoka.

Post by Rebel »

Did you have to uninstall it in order to get the ribbon back? There was no way to switch back and forth, right?
The Ribbon does not disappear, and there is no switching involved. The UBit Menu simply appears as another tab on the Ribbon. Click on the (Ubit) Menu tab and the old classic menus appear. Click on any other tab and the Ribbon contents for that particular tab are displayed.
John :canada:
A Child's Mind, Once Stretched by Imagination...
Never Regains Its Original Dimensions

kdock
5StarLounger

Post by kdock »

hlewton wrote:...I am getting a little used to the ribbon but at times it is still difficult to find what I am looking for.
Microsoft also has "Find Commands" add-ins for Word, Excel and PowerPoint. It installs a tab on the ribbon--enter the old command, or even just what you want to do and it will present you with the command AND tell you where it is in the new interface. I support people moving from Word 2003 to Word 2007 and above and many have found it helpful.

I think it only exists for 2007 and 2010. Go HERE. You might give it a try.

Best, Kim
"Hmm. What does this button do?" Said everyone before being ejected from a car, blown up, or deleting all the data from the mainframe.

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

Rebel wrote:
Did you have to uninstall it in order to get the ribbon back? There was no way to switch back and forth, right?
The Ribbon does not disappear, and there is no switching involved. The UBit Menu simply appears as another tab on the Ribbon. Click on the (Ubit) Menu tab and the old classic menus appear. Click on any other tab and the Ribbon contents for that particular tab are displayed.
Thank you for the reply.
Regards,
hlewton

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

kdock wrote:
hlewton wrote:...I am getting a little used to the ribbon but at times it is still difficult to find what I am looking for.
Microsoft also has "Find Commands" add-ins for Word, Excel and PowerPoint. It installs a tab on the ribbon--enter the old command, or even just what you want to do and it will present you with the command AND tell you where it is in the new interface. I support people moving from Word 2003 to Word 2007 and above and many have found it helpful.

I think it only exists for 2007 and 2010. Go HERE. You might give it a try.

Best, Kim
Thank you for this information. I definitely will look into the link you supplied. It sounds like it could really be helpful.
Regards,
hlewton

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

Another vote for the 'get used to it' approach.

I too hated the Ribbon at first. After so many years of using the menus it was a horrible shock but now it's just a different way of doing the same thing.

Ken

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

stuck wrote:I too hated the Ribbon at first. After so many years of using the menus it was a horrible shock but now it's just a different way of doing the same thing.
Basically, your stuck with it :grin:
Come to think of it, we're ALL stuck with it, until Microsoft changes the ribbons to Metro Tiles.
Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

stuck wrote:Another vote for the 'get used to it' approach.

I too hated the Ribbon at first. After so many years of using the menus it was a horrible shock but now it's just a different way of doing the same thing.

Ken
Yeah I do agree. Still at times it takes a while to locate what I want but I will get used to it.
Regards,
hlewton

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

Rudi wrote:
stuck wrote:I too hated the Ribbon at first. After so many years of using the menus it was a horrible shock but now it's just a different way of doing the same thing.
Basically, your stuck with it :grin:
Come to think of it, we're ALL stuck with it, until Microsoft changes the ribbons to Metro Tiles.
Dare I ask what Metro Tiles are? All a google search shows me are walls and floors.
Regards,
hlewton

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

Just a tip on getting used to the ribbon and finding commands....

See the ribbon in 3 parts:
1. The TABS
2. The Category Groups
3. The Group Icons
8.jpg
To navigate the ribbons and find commands, first access the High End TAB group
Then locate the Categories within the TAB; all these category commands relate to the TAB
Once you find the Category, locating the appropriate button command is easy

Due to the additional real estate on the ribbons, Some buttons are even duplicated. For example, in Excel, the AutoSum button is on the HOME ribbon due to its popularity and usefulness, but you will also find it in the FORMULAS tab in the Functions Library.
IMHO, one of the nicest things about the Ribbon is the Context Menus...these only appear when you need them. It keeps things clean and organised.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regards,
Rudi

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

hlewton wrote:Dare I ask what Metro Tiles are? All a google search shows me are walls and floors.
LOL... In Google, type in Metro Tiles Windows 8
9.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regards,
Rudi

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

What Rudi says. Metro Tiles are the icons on the "Start Screen" and the "Apps Screen" of Windows 8/8.1. Here is part of my "Start Screen", with Metro Tiles:
Start.jpg
Best wishes,
Hans

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

Rudi wrote:Just a tip on getting used to the ribbon and finding commands....

See the ribbon in 3 parts:
1. The TABS
2. The Category Groups
3. The Group Icons
8.jpg
To navigate the ribbons and find commands, first access the High End TAB group
Then locate the Categories within the TAB; all these category commands relate to the TAB
Once you find the Category, locating the appropriate button command is easy

Due to the additional real estate on the ribbons, Some buttons are even duplicated. For example, in Excel, the AutoSum button is on the HOME ribbon due to its popularity and usefulness, but you will also find it in the FORMULAS tab in the Functions Library.
IMHO, one of the nicest things about the Ribbon is the Context Menus...these only appear when you need them. It keeps things clean and organised.
Thanks these are great tips.
Regards,
hlewton

John Gray
PlatinumLounger

Post by John Gray »

Office Watch has an article on Getting Rid of the Ribbon http://new.office-watch.com/2014/gettin ... he-ribbon/.

"In this article we’ll go over some of the, still, little understood ribbon features before looking how to get rid of the ribbon entirely."
John Gray

"(or one of the team)" - how your appointment letter indicates you won't be seeing the Consultant...

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

Thanks both Rudi and Hans for explaining Metro Tiles. I sure hope it never comes down to that. I don't even like the apps on my iPad.
Regards,
hlewton

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

John Gray wrote:Office Watch has an article on Getting Rid of the Ribbon http://new.office-watch.com/2014/gettin ... he-ribbon/.

"In this article we’ll go over some of the, still, little understood ribbon features before looking how to get rid of the ribbon entirely."
Thanks John Gray. Actually that is the exact article I found the two programs I asked about. I have been convinced to keep using the ribbon far at least the time being.
Regards,
hlewton