Cannot get Word & Outlook out of right to left format

jmt356
SilverLounger

Cannot get Word & Outlook out of right to left format

Post by jmt356 »

I recently set Word's Display Language to Arabic, a right-to-left language, and then restored it back to English, as per this thread: http://www.eileenslounge.com/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=17467" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

However, upon restoring it to English, several items, including the way certain windows displayed, appears to still be in left-to-right format. For example, the scroll bars in Word and Outlook were placed on the left rather than on the right.

I initially posted this question at http://www.eileenslounge.com/viewtopic. ... 67#p135063" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;, but I believe it deserves its own thread, hence this post to follow up on Rudi's suggestions at http://www.eileenslounge.com/viewtopic. ... 67#p135094" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.

My Editing Language, Display Language and Help Language in both Word and Outlook are set to English. Moreover, I did not tamper with any of the language settings in Windows. However, just to be safe, I just removed the Arabic keyboard, in case that was causing any issues. Yet upon restarting both Word and Outlook and my computer, the problem remains.

The issue only appears to be with Word and Outlook. PowerPoint and Outlook show no sign of being impacted.

Changing the name of Normal.dotm did not fix the issue.

Another symptom of this problem which I have observed is that in the Outlook calendar, the dates display right to left rather than left to right (i.e., for September, they start with Sat., the 6th and then progress towards the right as 5, 4, 3, etc. – see screenshot), in case that provides any further clues.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regards,

JMT

Rudi
gamma jay

Re: Cannot get Word & Outlook out of right to left format

Post by Rudi »

I've never had this issue before, so I'm pulling at straws here...but here are some more options to try:
Note: Before any action...I'd recommend making a new restore point!

Before taking below advice...: see if anything here helps...

1. Advice taken from a forum:
Check to see that you have the Language Settings tool installed along with Office. From the Start menu > Microsoft Office > Microsoft Office .... Tools. If you did not find it then make sure it is installed. Control Panel > Programs and Features. Find Office in the list of programs. Do not click on it but right-click on it and choose Change. Navigate through the list of available features, Tools, and see if Language Tools is an option for you.

My Language Settings allows me to add many "editing languages". This may not be what you're looking for. If you do find it, add another "editing language", then your Office programs may still be in Hebrew but editing/document may allow for the other language.

2. Check Office Installed Languages.
Try uninstall and reinstall...
1.jpg
3. Since this is only a few days ago...maybe try a system restore back about a week or two

4. Uninstall Office with Revo Uninstaller, then reinstall Office
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.

jmt356
SilverLounger

Post by jmt356 »

I tried the following:
- Repairing the installation of Microsoft Office 2010 Professional Plus and of the Office Language Pack Arabic;
- Uninstalling and re-installing Microsoft Office 2010 Professional Plus and the Office Language Pack Arabic.

In all instances, the scroll bars continued to display on the left rather than on the right and the Outlook calendar continued to display right to left. In reinstalling Office, I even had the Arabic keyboard removed to remove any trace of Arabic and to try to get the default left to right settings back, but again, without success.

I also tried to check Office Installed Languages (Rudi’s step 2) by right-clicking MS Office 2010 in Programs and Features, selecting “Change,” selecting Add or Remove Features, scrolling down to Office Tools | Language Settings Tool, selecting Not Available, but that did not change the right-to-left settings either.
Regards,

JMT

jmt356
SilverLounger

Post by jmt356 »

I found the solution to my problem in Outlook, with guidance from the last post at this threat: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/offi ... 89c03a4edc" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.

Apparently, even after the restored the MS Office Display Language to English, one of my Outlook Arabic settings did not get restored. It is located at:
- File | Options | Advanced
- Right to Left (the second to last heading)

Under that heading, Right to Left was still selected as the direction of my views.

I also went into Word | File | Options | Advance | Display group and found “Left scroll bar” was checked. Unchecking it in my Normal template restored my vertical scroll bar to the right (unchecking it an ordinary document did not cause the vertical scroll bar to display on the right; rather the change did not stick).
Regards,

JMT

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

It sounds like you are winning one slow step at a time. Good, but I'm sure rather frustrating. :hairout:
I am clean out of advice, so there is not more I can offer, unless someone else comes with a bright idea. I do recommend (as frustrating as it is for you) that you continue scanning the settings in the apps and hopefully you come across one that you overlooked and it magically fixes everything. Good luck!
Regards,
Rudi

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

BTW: You don't mention that you have tried a System Restore....have you tried it?
Usually when things go sour for me, this is the first thing I run to. Even if you did the Arabic installation 2-3 weeks ago, a system restore might still be useful unless you have made other major changes to your system. Up to you though....
Regards,
Rudi

jmt356
SilverLounger

Post by jmt356 »

Thanks Rudi. I did not do a system restore. I need to figure out how to fix this issue because I may be switching my display language with frequency and system restores are not as practical as finding hidden settings that need to be restored.
Regards,

JMT

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Wouldn't it be easier to get a cheap extra PC or laptop, and use English settings on one PC and Arabic settings on the other? If you connect the computers by network/wifi, you can access the same files easily.
Best wishes,
Hans

jmt356
SilverLounger

Post by jmt356 »

Dear Hans

Having 2 laptops is an option I am considering. However, at this point, I have been able to figure out how to properly get Arabic documents to properly display through the Word Options | Language Display Language dialogue and after reverting to English, only 3 issues remain:
- Word Scroll Bars Display on the Left (Solved by going to the Left scroll bar option in File | Options | Advanced | Display group).
- Outlook Calendar Displays from Right to Left (Solved in the Right to Left heading in Outlook File | Options | Advanced)
- Outlook Scroll Bars Displaying on the Left Rather than on the Right: Unsolved at present.

The only problem that remains is thus Outlook’s display of the vertical scroll bars on the left rather than on the right. I could not find any solution to this issue by searching on Google. If anyone becomes aware of one, please do let me know.
Regards,

JMT

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

In which panes do the scrollbars show left?
-- The read/reply mail window
-- The reading pane
-- All windows?
Regards,
Rudi

jmt356
SilverLounger

Post by jmt356 »

They show up on the left in everything except for:
- The tree view window on the left when I am in my Inbox;
- The List views for Contacts, Tasks and Memos (though the scroll bar is on the left in each individual contact);

In everything else, including in each individual email, appointment, contact and task, the scroll bar is on the left.
Regards,

JMT

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

Hi,

I cannot suggest anything else except to review the following dialog and expand on the "View display languages set for each Microsoft Office program". Check if the language priority order is correct...and if it is, review the default language settings of your PC regional settings again. I have browsed through Outlook and cannot see any other language or display options in any other areas of it's settings.
1.jpg
Regards,
Rudi

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

I once had to enable support for right-to-left languages on my laptop, because of some specific customer documents I was reviewing. After I'd finished I had so many weird issues that I ended up reformatting my laptop and reinstalling windows.
StuartR