office 32bit vs 64bit

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

office 32bit vs 64bit

Post by stuck »

Since we are having to rebuild stuckling2's laptop before we install Office 2010, do we want the default 32bit version or should we go for the the 64 bit one?

We've already read MS's thoughts, here:
http://office.microsoft.com/en-gb/word- ... 69476.aspx
we've not got any third party add-ons and no VBA stuff so we can't see why we shouldn't use the 64bit version but we get the feeling the 32bit version is the 'better' / 'safer' option.

Any thoughts?

Ken

Rudi
gamma jay

Re: office 32bit vs 64bit

Post by Rudi »

Before you get to the article...
My recommendation (since you ask for opinions :grin: ) - install 32-bit! Even though it might just be for basic usage...you are more prone to run into issues with 64-bit than with 32-bit. (It is the general consensus).

From a Knowledge Base Article:
Note: I did not check for an article date - some things mentioned may now have 64-bit support...
Its strongly recommended to use the 32 bit version of Microsoft Office on computers that are running both 32-bit and 64-bit supported Windows operating systems. This is due to issues with plug-ins and backward compatibility.

Office 2013 64-bit Known Issues:

- There is no support for Office 2013 64 bit by the vendor for SAP GUI for Windows, only 32-bit version of Office 2013 is supported.
- The 64-bit version of Microsoft Office isn’t compatible with any other 32-bit version of Office programs. So you must first uninstall all 32-bit versions of Office programs before you install the 64-bit version of Office.
- Any add-ins you want to run for Office must also be 64-bit editions.
- ActiveX controls library, ComCtl. Any solutions using these controls don’t work. No good alternatives are available for some of these controls.
- Third-party ActiveX controls and add-ins. None of these work with the 64-bit version of Office.
- There is no 64-bit version of Visual Basic 6, so many of these objects need to be ported and rewritten.
- Microsoft Visual Basic for Applications (VBA) VBA only contains the Declare statement work in the 64-bit version of Office if you update the code manually.
- Compiled Access databases The .MDE and .ACCDE files, a common way for Access application developers to distribute solutions and protect their intellectually property, don’t work in the 64-bit version of Office. You must contact the application developer to recompile, retest, and redistribute the solution in the 64-bit version.

- The only users that are likely to gain advantage from the 64 bit version are those that work with very large (larger than 2 gigabytes) Excel spreadsheets. Unless you are engaging in such computationally intensive activities with Office, the 32 bit version is strongly recommended.
Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.

John Gray
PlatinumLounger

Post by John Gray »

My view of 64-bit Office 2010 is much like my view (at the time) of 64-bit XP - to be avoided if you want a quiet(er) life.
An exaggeration, of course, but I'm with Rudi!
John Gray

Venison is quiet deer, and quite dear.

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

OK, our feeling that 32bit is going to be less hassle is supported by two others. We certainly don't need to be able to handle 2GB+ spreadsheets so 32bit Office it is.

Thanks,

Ken

R19hulp
NewLounger

office 32bit vs 64bit

Post by R19hulp »

could someone tell me what build that is? i have this build of office xp and am wondering. please let me know

thanx

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Office XP only has a 32-bit version. The first version of Microsoft Office that has a 32-bit version and a 64-bit version is Office 2010.
Best wishes,
Hans