Purchase Of Office Professional 2010

Jay Freedman
Microsoft MVP

Re: Purchase Of Office Professional 2010

Post by Jay Freedman »

It would probably be best to remove the File Validation Add-in before installing the new Office. It might show up again in a Windows Update session, and you can choose whether to install it or hide the update. When you're running only Office 2013, the add-in isn't necessary because Office itself has a feature that does the same thing.

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

Thank you both.
Regards,
hlewton

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

I am not sure why I have not yet made a decision. I have never in my life took so long to decide on a purchase of software or hardware but for some reason I still have not installed Office 365. I know I was told I would be able to run Office from my local drive but I just want to ask one more question for clarification. I pin most of the Office programs to my taskbar and then pin programs associated with them to the program on my taskbar. I think you know what I mean but just to be sure I'll use this example. Access is pinned to the taskbar and then I have 4 access .mdb files pinned to that. I then Right Click on Access then click on the database I want to open. Will I still be able to do this with Office 365 installed?

Thanks and I really do believe that is the last thing I am worried about.
Regards,
hlewton

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Yes, that will work exactly the same as it did for older Office versions.
Best wishes,
Hans

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

Thanks Hans.
Regards,
hlewton

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

Well I finally installed Office 365 but not without some strange things happening. First Outlook tried to setup my email account automatically and failed but I think it still created an account that I hope I can delete. It is called mail.twc.com and my account that I eventually had to manually setup, which is what I thought all along I should be doing, is username@??com. So when I check user accounts in Outlook or using the Control panel both of these accounts show up and original had a check mark by the mail.twc.com account telling it to use that account as the default account to send from. I managed to change it to have the check mark at my account and it should be using it as the default account to send from but it is not. So I am wondering if it would be safe to delete the mail.twc.com because on my other machine it is not there. The only account on them is the one I setup manually and that should have been what I did this time too. So is it safe to delete it.

Also in the past when I created a new Outlook account on a new machine I had to manually import the Outlook.pst file I wanted to use. This Outlook 2013 did it automatically and I am not real happy how it was imported but I guess I can get used to it.
Regards,
hlewton

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

If, as I assume, you don't want to use the mail.twc.com account, I'd remove it.

You can view, edit and test the various settings of the remaining account in File > Account Settings > Account Settings.
Best wishes,
Hans

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

Thanks that took care of some of the other unexplained problems I had as well.

Hope it is OK to ask this here about Office 365 I now have since my question pertains to an iPad but I really didn't want to start an new topic. With MS's help I got a couple of the Office apps installed but when I open them I see nothing as far as an "x" or "file close" is concerned to close them. I am just curious if I am supposed to close them the way I do any other app running on the iPad. I guess I was never before concerned about an app being left open if I wasn't attending the iPad but I don't think I want to leave any Word or Excel file open if I'm not using it. I know how to close other apps but it just seems strange that neither of the Office apps offer the familiar way of closing their programs. Am I missing something or is the only way to close them the same as any other app?
Regards,
hlewton

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

The Office apps for iPad work just like other apps. Swipe up to close.
Best wishes,
Hans

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

Thanks I kind of thought that would be the case. I just have to remember to do it if I ever use those apps.
Regards,
hlewton

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

I mentioned that Outlook seemed to import a pst file on its own. I say that because under the personal folder list in Outlook it shows many of the folders I have created over the years but it is not the most recent list of folders I wanted to import to Outlook 2013 I had deleted some of the folders, files, and compacted it before sending the Outlook.pst file to the new machine. I have the Outlook.pst file in a folder on the new machine and I am wondering if I can still import it without creating duplicates of all the folders that are now on the new machine. I know I will probably be able to tell it to replace duplicates but sometimes that does not seem to work. Are there any preliminary steps I should take before trying to import that Outlook.pst file that is the up to date one I wanted to use? The Outlook.pst file also has all my contacts and there is a list of them in my new Outlook 2013 but I don't think it is the most current one either. I would like to import the newest Outlook.pst file I have but I have no idea where or how Outlook 2013 chose the file to use. Should I delete every personal folder on my machine? This is what I have been used to seeing in Outlook - no personal folders with my created names- in the list or any list of contacts until after I imported the Outlook.pst file. This time the personal folders and contacts just showed up without me manually importing them.
Regards,
hlewton

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

You can tell Outlook 2013 to start using your 'old' PST file as default in File > Account Settings > Account Settings > Data Files tab: select the PST file and click Set as Default.
S0840.png
That way, you'll have all your old folders again.
When you've done that, you can restart Outlook and remove the 'new' PST file: select it and click Remove in the above dialog. This does not actually delete the PST file, Outlook just doesn't display it any more.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Best wishes,
Hans

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

Well I did that and it seems I now have the correct folders but for some reason when I hit send/receive I am not getting any email downloaded to the inbox that is now there and the one I want to use. If I test the account settings all is well. So any ideas how to get my mail delivered to the inbox?

It is almost like the send/receive button is not working at all.
Regards,
hlewton

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

I think I got it. I had not had any groups checked in the send/receive options.
Regards,
hlewton

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Phew...
Best wishes,
Hans

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

HansV wrote:Phew...
LOL that's what I say. A little bit of knowledge is dangerous, huh?
Regards,
hlewton

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

One more question for tonight. I like to see a 3 month calendar to the right side of my Inbox. I have not found a way to do that in Outlook 2013. the closest I came was with a To Do List which is not want I want to see. How can I get that 3 month calendar view I am used to to show up as part of my Inbox?
Regards,
hlewton

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

The three-month calendar view is not available in Outlook 2013, to the chagrin of many users. By right-clicking Calendar and selecting 'Pin the Peek' you should be able to get a one-month calendar.
Best wishes,
Hans

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

Thanks and I already hate that feature is gone.
Regards,
hlewton

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

HansV wrote:The three-month calendar view is not available in Outlook 2013, to the chagrin of many users. By right-clicking Calendar and selecting 'Pin the Peek' you should be able to get a one-month calendar.
I tried that but I do not have the 'Pin the Peek' option. I have "Dock the peek" or "Show the peek." When choosing dock the peek it seems to be the same as choosing the Calendar view under Layout and then choosing the To Do Bar. Show the peek seems to do little but show the calendar immediately above the word calendar. I hope someone comes up with a add in that will give me back what I like to see. Hard to teach old dogs new tricks, I guess.
Regards,
hlewton