Purchase Of Office Professional 2010

Rudi
gamma jay

Re: Purchase Of Office Professional 2010

Post by Rudi »

TX for that info Jay...
Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.

Jay Freedman
Microsoft MVP

Post by Jay Freedman »

hlewton wrote: I’m not afraid to make Registry changes but I don’t understand some of the terms. The 15.0 you mentioned would that be in place of the 12.0 in this example - HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\12.0\Word\Options ?

I had no idea how to add that “NoRereg DWORD (32-bit)” because I really have little knowledge about Registry edits. I did search the NET to see how it could be accomplished. I finally found one that gave steps on how to do it so I feel better about that now and I think it answered my question about the 15.0 I asked above.
:clapping:
hlewton wrote: As far as Outlook is concerned will I be given the option of which one to use on each machine I install Office 365 on or does the download site remember your first choice?
I'm not sure about Office 365. The article about "Outlook gone" that JoeP linked to seemed to imply that the Office 365 installer appears to give a choice, but then uninstalls or hides Outlook 2010 regardless. I don't have any experience with that, since I let 365 on my laptop install Outlook 2013.

There's another kind of Office 2013 installation, not associated with Office 365, that uses the older "MSI" type of installer. I think it's available only through an MSDN subscription or from a volume (corporate) purchase. That's what I use on my desktop, and it definitely lets you choose which programs to install or not. But that won't be of any use to you.

In any case, the Office 365 download site won't remember your choice from one computer to another.
hlewton wrote: What I quoted above has me confused because I’m not sure how this would be done. Doesn’t Word create its own Normal.dotm. template? I have found tutorials on how to create a Normal.dotm but so far I have not found how to have more than one or possibly I am not understanding what I am reading about them. Do you know of a link where I can get clear instructions on how to do as you mentioned?
Yes, specifically: If you run Word when there is no file named Normal.dotm in the folder that you tell it is your Templates folder, it will run during that session using the information contained in the Winword.exe program file; and when you close the session, it will write that information into a new Normal.dotm file.

To take advantage of that behavior to create a new Templates folder for Word 2013:
  • Before installing Office 365, back up the Normal.dotm file from Word 2010. Of course, it's best to do a full backup anyway.
  • After installing Office 365, run Word 2013.
  • Click the File tab and click Options.
  • In the Options dialog, click Advanced.
  • Scroll down to the bottom of the options, and click the File Locations button.
  • In the next dialog, click the User Templates item in the list box, and click the Modify button.
  • The Modify Location dialog appears and shows the current Templates folder, usually C:\Users\<your name>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Templates. Click in the address bar at the top of the dialog, delete the \Templates part, and press Enter, which will make the dialog show the Microsoft folder.
  • Click the New Folder button and name the new folder something else, such as Templates2013. Double-click the new folder and then click OK in each of the three dialogs.
  • Close Word, then open it again (this time it won't find any Normal.dotm because it's looking in the new folder), and close it again. You should see a prompt saying that changes were made that affect Normal.dotm (no kidding! :grin: ) and do you want to save it? Say yes.
  • Check the date/time of the Normal.dotm in the old Templates folder, which will still be used by Word 2010. If it has been updated by Word 2013, you might want to restore the backup from the first step.
hlewton wrote: I too was curious about what Rudi asked and would also like to add Access to his question.
As I replied to Rudi, I don't think that Excel and PowerPoint have any problem with switching between versions, and don't need a NoRereg entry. I'm not aware of any need for it for Access, either, but I don't know for sure. I have only Access 2013 installed, so I can't test it.

Jay Freedman
Microsoft MVP

Post by Jay Freedman »

JoeP wrote:If you are using the click-to-run version of Office 365 Pro Plus you can run multiple versions of Outlook. See Potential problems if you have Outlook 2013 and an earlier version of Outlook installed on the same computer for more information. You can NOT run both versions of Outlook at the same time. See Outlook 2010 gone in Side-by-Side Installation with 2013 for more information. Also, see Office 2013 known issues.

Note: you can't have 32-bit and 64-bit versions of Office installed at the same time.

Joe
Thanks for those reminders, Joe.

I was thinking of the MSI version that I have on my desktop, but that isn't generally available to users. I got it from my MSDN subscription, and it's also what volume license customers get, but everybody else gets click-to-run. The Office 2013 programs that the two installers provide are identical, but the installation and update behaviors are very different.

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

Jay thank you very much for all the help.
Regards,
hlewton

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

C2R uses some sort of virtualization. This isolates Office 2013 Pro Plus from any other versions and allows side-by-side installation of all Office components for the first time.

Joe
Joe

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

JoeP wrote:C2R uses some sort of virtualization. This isolates Office 2013 Pro Plus from any other versions and allows side-by-side installation of all Office components for the first time.

Joe
I may be seriously confused but I have to ask is C2R the default download when purchasing Office 365 or can I just download and run office as I am used to?

Thanks
Regards,
hlewton

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

For Office 365 C2R is your only option for installing the Office 2013 desktop programs. You download the installer and run it just like any other. From there things change a bit as you are able to use some of the programs before Office is completely installed. The installation just continues in the background while you go about your business. C2R is also the method by which the Office desktop programs are updated. For almost everyone, it has been much better than using Windows Update and has caused far fewer problems. You get complete versions of programs including public and private fixes plus any new features Microsoft chooses to release.

Joe
Joe

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

Thank you Joe for the reply.
Regards,
hlewton

Jay Freedman
Microsoft MVP

Post by Jay Freedman »

Once you have subscribed to Office 365 (except the "Office 365 Home" version), you can either buy a backup DVD or download a file that you can burn to your own DVD. This is described in a KnowledgeBase article.

Other than that, as I mentioned earlier, the only way to get a non-C2R installer is to have an MSDN subscription (mucho dinero!) or to work for a company that purchased a volume license.

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

Jay Freedman wrote:Once you have subscribed to Office 365 (except the "Office 365 Home" version), you can either buy a backup DVD or download a file that you can burn to your own DVD. This is described in a KnowledgeBase article.

Other than that, as I mentioned earlier, the only way to get a non-C2R installer is to have an MSDN subscription (mucho dinero!) or to work for a company that purchased a volume license.
Thanks and I know you and Joe have told me about this and tried to make me understand. Maybe I am just dense but I do not understand C2R. I really don't care about how it is downloaded to my machine what I'm confused about is how I would go about actually running it. Will I have the shortcuts to the programs like I do now to run the programs and will those programs be run from my computer? Also if I double click a program in Windows Explorer will it open and be running from my computer. From what I read I believe the answers to both questions are yes because it said I only needed an Internet connection to install and update the files and I still really do not know what click-to-run means. Aren't I now clicking a shortcut to run my programs? What would be the difference?
Regards,
hlewton

Jay Freedman
Microsoft MVP

Post by Jay Freedman »

hlewton wrote:Will I have the shortcuts to the programs like I do now to run the programs and will those programs be run from my computer? Also if I double click a program in Windows Explorer will it open and be running from my computer. From what I read I believe the answers to both questions are yes because it said I only needed an Internet connection to install and update the files and I still really do not know what click-to-run means. Aren't I now clicking a shortcut to run my programs? What would be the difference?
Don't get hung up on the jargon. The term "click-to-run" is Microsoftese and doesn't really mean what it says. It really refers only to the initial installation of Office on your computer.

With either kind of installer, the Office programs are on your local disk, and so are your documents (unless you accept Microsoft's default to save documents directly to OneDrive, which I would strongly advise that you DO NOT*). The difference is in how the programs get to your disk -- whether by a one-time download from the web, or by copying from a DVD.

The program shortcuts point to the program files on your computer, and the document files in Windows Explorer are on your computer. So, as you said, the answers to both questions are yes.

There are a few other differences between the installation types.
(1) With C2R, it does need an Internet connection at least periodically (I think it's once every 30 days) to verify that your subscription is still paid-up and valid; if not, the programs let you view documents but not edit them.

(2) Whenever Microsoft updates Office with security patches, feature fixes, or possibly new enhancements, a C2R installation gets them automatically the next time you run one of the programs while connected to the Net. A DVD installation will get them only when Windows Update runs. (I'm not sure I agree about the C2R method being better than Windows Update for this; I haven't had any WU problems or read of them in forums.)

(3) As JoeP mentioned, the C2R installation uses "virtualization", a technique for isolating the programs from other parts of the computer, especially from other Office versions. This is mostly invisible to users, but it has one visible effect: The DVD version installs by default in the folder C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office15, but the C2R version installs at C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office 15\root\office15. That can be important if you're setting up new shortcuts or otherwise trying to find the actual program files.

*After you install Office, open any of the programs and go to the Options dialog. Click Save on the left side. About halfway down the page, check the box for "Save to Computer by default". Just below that, fill in the "Default file location" box with the folder that you want the Save As dialog to start with (use the Browse button next to the box if you want to avoid typing).

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

Thank you so much that really did help clear up a lot of my confusion. I do appreciate it and will refer to it if or when I get Office 365.
Regards,
hlewton

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

Jay Freedman wrote:Once you have subscribed to Office 365 (except the "Office 365 Home" version), you can either buy a backup DVD or download a file that you can burn to your own DVD. This is described in a KnowledgeBase article.

Note: The KB article specifically says that for Office 365 Home:

"There are no back-up media options for Office 365 subscription suites. You'll need to be connected online to download and install Office on another PC or Mac."

Joe
Joe

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

JoeP wrote:

Note: The KB article specifically says that for Office 365 Home:

"There are no back-up media options for Office 365 subscription suites. You'll need to be connected online to download and install Office on another PC or Mac."

Joe
Thanks but I am on line on each devise whether it is a computer or iPad every time I turn them on. My Internet connection is constant so I don't think that will be a problem.
Regards,
hlewton

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

I finally got my machine back and am seriously contemplating getting that Office 365 but I have another question first. I had the guy who builds my computers put Office 2003 on it and I don't think I want to keep it so do I have to uninstall it first before purchasing and downloading that Office 365 or will its installation take care of either removing or disabling it? I'm just not so sure I want to do those registry edits to keep both versions of Office on the same machine.

Thanks.
Regards,
hlewton

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

According to Upgrading to Office 2013 or Office 365:
If you have an earlier version of Office installed on your PC and you install Office Home and Student 2013, Office Home and Business 2013, Office Professional 2013, or Office 365 Home, you won't have an option to upgrade over the previous version. Instead, you'll have both the new version of Office and your earlier version installed on the same PC. If you don't want both versions, you should uninstall the earlier version through Programs and Features in Control Panel.
The article provides links with help for uninstalling a previous version.
Best wishes,
Hans

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

Thank you. I'll look at it now.
Regards,
hlewton

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

If you choose to uninstall Office 2003, I'd recommend to use a dedicated uninstaller instead of the Windows Uninstaller. I can recommend the free version of Revo Uninstaller (if you do not know about it). It is an excellent app and removes not only the app in question, but also all traces of it from the registry to.
Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

Thank you Rudi for that information.
Regards,
hlewton

Jay Freedman
Microsoft MVP

Post by Jay Freedman »

hlewton wrote:I finally got my machine back and am seriously contemplating getting that Office 365 but I have another question first. I had the guy who builds my computers put Office 2003 on it and I don't think I want to keep it so do I have to uninstall it first before purchasing and downloading that Office 365 or will its installation take care of either removing or disabling it? I'm just not so sure I want to do those registry edits to keep both versions of Office on the same machine.

Thanks.
The answer to this question isn't as clear-cut as it used to be with the MSI-based versions of Office.

When you install Office 2010 and earlier, or the MSI-based retail Office 2013, it's definitely recommended to remove the earlier version before starting to install the latest version (that is, if you know you're going to remove it anyway). The reason is that removing the earlier version after installing the later version can damage some of the registry entries, requiring at least a repair of the later version afterward.

The Office 365 Click-to-Run installation is a completely different beast. Because it does some virtualization magic, it can sit side-by-side with earlier versions without interference. I believe you could remove Office 2003 after installing Office 365, and not have a problem. (Since I've kept all the versions from 2003 forward, I haven't actually tried this.) Still, if you know you're getting rid of 2003, you might as well do it sooner rather than later.

I'll second Rudi's recommendation of Revo Uninstaller. That's good stuff.