Re: Purchase Of Office Professional 2010

Post by Claude »

pretty good going hlewton! 100 replies to a question :smile:
Cheers, Claude.

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

HansV wrote:Take a look at File > Account in Word or Excel - it should provide info about the update settings.
OK thanks.

Just checked and it said I am up to date and that updates are downloaded and installed automatically. I have just never seen any message saying that was happening but as long as it is I guess I'll be fine.
Last edited by hlewton on 02 Aug 2014, 10:28, edited 1 time in total.
Regards,
hlewton

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

Claude wrote:pretty good going hlewton! 100 replies to a question :smile:
It wasn't intentional but I sure got some great information in this thread.
Regards,
hlewton

Jay Freedman
Microsoft MVP

Post by Jay Freedman »

HansV wrote:Take a look at File > Account in Word or Excel - it should provide info about the update settings.
Also, the article at http://support.microsoft.com/gp/office- ... ick-to-run always shows the version number of the current update and links to the descriptions of its components.

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

Jay Freedman wrote:
Also, the article at http://support.microsoft.com/gp/office- ... ick-to-run always shows the version number of the current update and links to the descriptions of its components.
Thanks. Mine seems to indicate an even newer version than the one showing in this link. My four ending numbers are 1004 which is newer than the 1002 that is shown or 1003 that says it is a previous version. I do believe I am getting the updates but I am just not seeing it happen.
Regards,
hlewton

Jay Freedman
Microsoft MVP

Post by Jay Freedman »

hlewton wrote:Mine seems to indicate an even newer version than the one showing in this link. My four ending numbers are 1004 which is newer than the 1002 that is shown or 1003 that says it is a previous version.
You're correct that your version is newer than what's on the page; I also have version 15.0.4631.1004.

A bit of advice: You can't go by just the last four numbers, you have to look at the four digits before them as well.
The June updates were 15.0.4623.1003.
The July updates were 15.0.4631.1002, and now .1004. The support page will probably be updated in a day or two.

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

Jay Freedman wrote:
hlewton wrote:Mine seems to indicate an even newer version than the one showing in this link. My four ending numbers are 1004 which is newer than the 1002 that is shown or 1003 that says it is a previous version.
You're correct that your version is newer than what's on the page; I also have version 15.0.4631.1004.

A bit of advice: You can't go by just the last four numbers, you have to look at the four digits before them as well.
The June updates were 15.0.4623.1003.
The July updates were 15.0.4631.1002, and now .1004. The support page will probably be updated in a day or two.
Thanks Jay. I did check that out as far as the 4631 numbers were concerned but I will keep a close eye on it in the future.
Regards,
hlewton

DaveA
GoldLounger

Post by DaveA »

Check out http://blogs.technet.com/b/office_resou ... art-1.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Scroll down to Q1
I am so far behind, I think I am First :evilgrin:
Genealogy....confusing the dead and annoying the living

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

Thanks Dave that was interesting. There are many times when I have no office application running except Outlook but I guess I should not have that running all the time so it too gets the opportunity to be updated. I checked before posting this and it does seem to be updated so maybe it doesn't have to be off long.
Regards,
hlewton

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

Q1. Well...how do automatic updates work? Can I control them?

A1. A default install of Office 365 ProPlus is configured to update automatically from the cloud. Separately, each month a new build of Office 365 ProPlus is released in the cloud. When a computer with Office 365 ProPlus detects that a new build is available, the difference – or delta – between the new build and the existing one is streamed down in the background. Updates are then installed when Office apps/processes aren’t running. So, with the default configuration Office 365 ProPlus, you will always be up-to-date. IT Pros can customize the configuration by controlling if updates are searched and applied automatically and/or from which source this will happen. (More on this in Managing Updates for Office 365 ProPlus - Part 2.)
The quote is from Dave's link above. Because I never see or know when an update is being loaded I was wondering what I will ask below. I just read where Office 2016 is coming out soon;
Microsoft has now confirmed what was long suspected; later in 2015 we’ll see two new versions of Microsoft Office.
• Office 2016 An update to the main Office suite for 32/64 bit Windows. The successor to Office 2013, Office 2010 and so on.
• Office for Windows 10. A new set of Office apps for Word, Excel, PowerPoint and OneNote plus ‘Outlook’ mail and calendar apps. These are Windows 10 ‘Universal’ apps that have the same code running on different size devices.
o They are properly touch capable with menus that adapt to the screen size.
o These apps will be called ‘… for Windows 10′ e.g. Excel for Windows 10.
o They’ll be free and pre-installed only on Windows 10 phones and small tablets (under 8″ screen).
o Other computers/devices will have to download them from the Windows Store with no price indication yet.
I assume my Office 365 subscription will be dealing with the Office 2016 An update to the main Office suite for 32/64 bit Windows. The successor to Office 2013, Office 2010 and so on but will I be given the choice of keeping Office 2013? I still am not proficient in that yet and don't want to have to deal with a new version if I don't have to.
Regards,
hlewton

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Microsoft hasn't released many details yet, but it seems likely that Office 365 subscribers will be upgraded to Office 2016 versions of the desktop applications - the idea behind Office 365 is that it'll always be up-to-date.
Best wishes,
Hans

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

Thanks I was afraid of that.
Regards,
hlewton

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

If you wish to turn off automatic updates go to File | Office Account |Update Options (button). Then select "Disable updates". You will not get updated until you re-enable updates. NOTE: I recommend you do NOT do this.

Joe
Joe

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

Thanks Joe for the information. I agree in that I don't want to not update the program but I just didn't want to get a new version of office. I guess that isn't an option if I want to continue to get critical updates to plug all the vulnerabilities in MS products.
Regards,
hlewton

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

No one knows for sure what the procedure is going to be when the next version of Office is released. There MAY be a mechanism to delay the upgrade for some period of time.

Joe
Joe

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

OK I'm going to ask a question I hope I know the answer to. If I wanted to purchase Office 2013 instead of paying an annual fee for Office 365 would it be as simple as running the Add/Remove programs and removing Office 365 then installing Office 2013 from the CD I would have purchased?
Regards,
hlewton

Jay Freedman
Microsoft MVP

Post by Jay Freedman »

Almost.

If you've stored any files in OneDrive, download them to your hard drive before you lose access to them. You should also log into your account page and deactivate the installation shown for your computer, and then close the account. That *should* mean you don't get an invoice for the next renewal (no promises!).

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

Jay Freedman wrote:Almost.

If you've stored any files in OneDrive, download them to your hard drive before you lose access to them. You should also log into your account page and deactivate the installation shown for your computer, and then close the account. That *should* mean you don't get an invoice for the next renewal (no promises!).
Thank you very much.
Regards,
hlewton