Classic Office Menu

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Re: Classic Office Menu

Post by hlewton »

I am not at all sure what is happening but I have to put this into the mix because both Word 2003 and Word 2010 display the same thing in this instance. I have a predefined merge document that uses the 5160 labels. As I open it, it opens an Access database and the correct query within that database to use for the data in the labels. In this already defined file the last line of the merge fields is not shown when the merge document is opened in either version but again all the data is there when I use it to create the final document to print.

So anyway they both do the exact same thing in this case but as I was trying to learn how to do merges in Word 2010 I found the above reported discrepancies. And as I have already said I don't know of anything I am doing differently while creating new merges in either version.
Regards,
hlewton

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Perhaps you could post screenshots of both versions?

To display the vertical ruler:
- Select File > Options.
- Click Advanced.
- Scroll down to the section labeled Display.
- Tick the check box "Show vertical ruler in Print Layout view".
- Click OK.
S0345.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Best wishes,
Hans

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

I can't post a screen shot as I'm at home but both rulers can be inadvertently turned off if you click on the small 'button' just above the top end of the scroll bar. It's very easily done. Fortunately a similarly simple click makes them reappear again.

Ken

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

I had to shrink the one for Word 2010 but hopefully you can see what I'm talking about. They were both created the same way and they both have all the same fields in them.

I will also try to get the ruler to appear, thanks to both of you for the advise.
Word2003.JPG
Word2010-2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regards,
hlewton

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

HansV wrote:Perhaps you could post screenshots of both versions?

To display the vertical ruler:
- Select File > Options.
- Click Advanced.
- Scroll down to the section labeled Display.
- Tick the check box "Show vertical ruler in Print Layout view".
- Click OK.
S0345.png
Well that option was already checked yet the ruler is still not visible. Maybe I'm not in the Print Layout View but I thought I was. Is it buried somewhere too? I have looked at the Print Preview and also on the Table Tools' Layout view and don't see the ruler. The only time I see it is when I click the double headed arrow on the bottom grid line of the label box. BTW I am usually in the Print Layout View as far as what the buttons at the bottom of the screen tell me but that ruler is still not there.

Thanks.
Regards,
hlewton

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Your screenshot from Word 2010 is in Print Layout view. You're not displaying the ruler at all. As rudi stuck remarked, click the little button at the top of the vertical scroll bar to display the ruler.
S0346.png
The reason for the discrepancy between Word 2003 and Word 2010 appears to be the gap between the Last Name line and the Street Address line. If you remove that gap, it'll probably look more or less the same as in Word 2003.
To remove the gap, click to the left of the Street Address merge field. Press Backspace, then press Shift+Enter. This inserts a line break instead of a paragraph break.
Last edited by HansV on 07 Nov 2013, 09:00, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: rudi > stuck
Best wishes,
Hans

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

Got the ruler to work originally I didn't know where that line was that Rudi mentioned. However, the trying to remove the gap only got worse when I tried following the directions. When I click to the left of the Street Address it turns the Street Address field gray and then the backspace makes it move to the left. When I do the Shift + Enter that adds another line and makes the Street Address field almost disappear by sending it lower instead of eliminating the gap. What am I not doing correctly and is there a way to not allow that gap to be there in the first place?

Thanks.
Regards,
hlewton

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Could you attach the mail merge document? (I don't need to have the data source for the mail merge)
Best wishes,
Hans

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

Yep but this one is just a try at me learning the new methods of using Word's 2010 mail merge features. But here it is. Just to tell you how I have done it and, this is the way I have for years, actually know no other ways, I insert all the fields with spaces between them as needed and when I reach the end of a line the way I want it to print I hit the "Enter" key and continue to the next line also hitting the "Enter" key with the end of each line.
TestMerge.docx
Regards,
hlewton

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

OK, I see what has happened.
If you click in any of the lines of any cell and click the arrow in the lower right corner of the Paragraph group of the Home tab of the ribbon, you'll see this:
S0348.png
Word has added a "Space Before" of 5.55 points before each paragraph (probably to keep the text away from the top border of the cells).
Cancel this dialog, then press Ctrl+A to select the entire document and click the arrow in the lower right corner of the Paragraph group again.
All boxes in the dialog will be empty. This is nothing to worry about, this always happens if more than 50 paragraphs have been selected (it worked that way in all previous versions of Word too).
Click in the "Space Before" box and enter 0:
S0349.png
Then click OK.
The lines now fit inside the cell again, as in Word 2003.
S0350.png
Best wishes,
Hans

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

That is amazing Hans. It worked. Is there something I should do to keep that as a default or will I have to try to remember these steps for future merges?

Thanks a lot for all your help.
Regards,
hlewton

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

You can always save the modified merge document and reuse it. On the other hand, it's not that much work to set "Space Before" to 0.
Best wishes,
Hans

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

Yes I already do have saved merged documents that I use but I do have one more question. I noticed that when I view or create the final document now the top line of data is at the very top of the label which doesn't allow for any misalignment of the labels when printing. I looked but don't see a setting for the top line so I'm guessing there isn't any. Is that correct?
Regards,
hlewton

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Click in the very first line of the very first label.
Click the arrow in the lower right corner of the Paragraph group (alternatively, right-click the first line and select Paragraph... from the contex menu).
Set the "Space Before" to for example 3 points or 4 points, then click OK.
There should now be a small space above the top line of the first label, while still leaving all lines visible.
Now activate the Mailings tab of the ribbon and click Propagate Labels.
This will copy the format of the first label to the other labels.
Best wishes,
Hans

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

Thank you. I will try that with a new merge tomorrow.
Regards,
hlewton

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

HansV wrote:As rudi remarked
:whisper: 'twas me what suggested this one - but I'll let you off :grin:

Ken

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Corrected!
Best wishes,
Hans

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

HansV wrote:Corrected!
Is that your second misteak is as many days? :evilgrin:

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

What's the saying? A misteak a day keeps the pedant away. :nope:
Best wishes,
Hans

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

LOL in any case I appreciate all you guys that help me. Thanks.
Regards,
hlewton