MS Office Service packs

dasadler
5StarLounger

MS Office Service packs

Post by dasadler »

Having recently installed MS Office Suite on another computer and VERY CAREFULLY replicated the same file structure (tree) so all my macros would work. I have found at least one problem in Excel. Since everything seems correct, I think it might be related to not having installed the service packs yet. So I look up the service packs and see the latest one for MS Office 2007 is SP3... and, yet, there is also a SP2.

Must I install SP2 then install SP3 or need I only install SP3?
Don

dasadler
5StarLounger

Re: MS Office Service packs

Post by dasadler »

I think this is no longer a good question. Rather than delete it, though, I will post the resolution.

Although I had successfully installed office and all my files on the new computer, AND updated windows... it seems none of the office files were updated despite Windows update telling me there were no more updates.

Well, Windows update has changed to Microsoft Update so, when in windows update, click on the 'learn more' about Microsoft Update to have your Windows update become Microsoft Update. It looks the same... no name change... but now it identifies all the office updates to be installed.

I installed all the updates (three times I checked for. and installed, updates). Now, the macros work just fine. Life is good.

As to whether SP2 must be installed before SP3, I don't know but Microsoft Updater took care of it.
Don

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

It's not that Windows Update has changed into Microsoft Update, they are two separate update channels. They have both existed for some time.

The Windows Update channel does what it says, provides update to Windows. The Microsoft Update channel simply goes wider and provides updates to just about every piece of MS software, be that OS or application.

Which channel is best for you depends on what you're running on your Windows PC. If you have no MS applications installed then you can stick with Windows Update.

Ken

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

For Windows Vista and later, there is only Windows Updates, and despite the name, it provides updates for ALL installed Microsoft software.
Best wishes,
Hans

dasadler
5StarLounger

Post by dasadler »

I cannot argue with you guys who know so much more than me about computers although I was NOT receiving office updates and after a bit of Googling, I learned that I had to actually click on a link (see image) that took me to a Microsoft Update site where I chose 'Install' (I think). The 'install' was instantaneous so maybe it just set a preference in Windows update.

In any case It works and I am happy. Oh, I did more Googling today and found it was merely a setting in Windows update that was likely done from that website. So while Windows Updates does provide updates for ALL installed Microsoft software, it does not seem to be by default.

LOL - edited to add image.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Don

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

HansV wrote:For Windows Vista and later, there is only Windows Updates, and despite the name, it provides updates for ALL installed Microsoft software.
Really? I'm sure that, out of the box, my Win 7 Starter Ed notebook only gave me Windows updates and I had to 'upgrade' it to MS Update. Mind you that was a couple of years ago so I might be imagining things :laugh;

Ken

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

I've never seen the Starter Edition of Windows 7. In the versions I know (Home Premium and Enterprise), the default setting is to search for updates to other Microsoft products when searching for Windows updates:
windows-7-windows-update-settings.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Best wishes,
Hans

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

I can find exactly the same dialog box in Win 7 Starter Ed so it seems unlikely that it would NOT be ticked by default if other versions do have it ticked as the default. So I must have imagined it / am mixing it up with my XPMCE desktop, which definitely required me to 'upgrade' Windows Update to MS Update.

Ken

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Yes, under Windows XP it was different - Microsoft originally had separate Windows Update and Office Update websites; they were later merged into Microsoft Update.
Best wishes,
Hans