Digital Signature utility

agibsonsw
SilverLounger

Digital Signature utility

Post by agibsonsw »

Hello. Office 2010.

I was just reading through this page about adding a Digital Signature to a document. Is this feature really any use? Does it provide any authenticity without requiring a (perhaps paid for) add-in?
"I'm here to save your life. But if I'm going to do that, I'll need total uninanonynymity." Me Myself & Irene.

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Re: Digital Signature utility

Post by stuck »

Don't know anything about signing an Office doc, we never let Word docs out of the building but you might want to read here:
https://www.globalsign.co.uk/microsoft- ... t-signing/

All our stuff goes out as an Adobe Certified Document Services PDF. It costs money to get the signature in the first place but there is no cost to the end user. They do have to use Adobe Reader though to see that the signature is valid.

Ken

agibsonsw
SilverLounger

Post by agibsonsw »

Thank you @stuck. Yes, I was kinda assuming that the Digital Signature is of limited use without a third-party to maintain, and authenticate, the signatures.

Andy.
"I'm here to save your life. But if I'm going to do that, I'll need total uninanonynymity." Me Myself & Irene.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

For serious use, you'd need to get a digital certificate from one of the official certificate authorities, such as VeriSign.

When you send a digitally signed document to others for the first time, the recipients will see a dialog when they open the document, asking whether they trust the signature. If they do, the signature will be stored on their computer, and next time you send a document, it will be trusted automatically - the signature proves that it really comes from you.

This isn't necessary for ordinary documents, of course, but it can be useful for confidential documents.
Best wishes,
Hans

agibsonsw
SilverLounger

Post by agibsonsw »

Thank you @Hans.

I suppose one could insert a hidden paragraph containing an encrypted key/hash, and contact the recipient to advise them of the key to unlock :) - but this probably wouldn't be acceptable from a legal-standpoint.

Andy

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

HansV wrote:...
This isn't necessary for ordinary documents, of course, but it can be useful for confidential documents.
A digital signature does not help increase confidentiality. You need to use encryption for that.

A digital signature helps to ensure the integrity of a document. If the document has been altered in any way then the signature will no longer be valid. The signature also helps to ensure non-repudiation. After you have signed the document you can't deny that it was you that signed it.
StuartR