QAT

dasadler
5StarLounger

QAT

Post by dasadler »

When moving from one machine to another. Is there any way to copy/move any heavily customized QATs?
Don

HansV
Administrator

Re: QAT

Post by HansV »

Customizations to the Quick Access Toolbar are stored in .qat files in C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Office (Windows Vista or newer) or C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Application Data\Microsoft Office (Windows XP).
x1402.png
Remember, AppData is a hidden folder, so you must display hidden files and folders in order to see it.
You can copy the .qat files from the old computer to the appropriate folder on the new one.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Best wishes,
Hans

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

NB .qat files are used by Office 2007. I discovered recently when the first Office 2010 PC arrived in our office that it uses a different file format and possibly a different location.

Ken

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

I have Office 2010, but I see that the files in my screenshot haven't been updated for almost 2 years. That would agree with them being from Office 2007. I have a newer bunch of files with extension .officeUI and .customUI.
Best wishes,
Hans

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

Yes, I discovered about the change that Office 2010 introduced when I tried to deploy our std .qat files and they didn't show up in Word or Excel.

Fortunately our QATs are not that complex so it only took a couple of mins to recreate them. Note to self must remember that I've yet to take a copy of these new files off that PC.

Ken

dasadler
5StarLounger

Post by dasadler »

Thanks for the info - good to be able to move them instead of recreating them.
Don