Office 2010: entered Product Key is changed when viewed

John Gray
PlatinumLounger

Office 2010: entered Product Key is changed when viewed

Post by John Gray »

I've just upgraded about 20 PCs to Office 2010, and entered the same volume Product Key for each.

However, for about seven PCs, viewing the Product Key using ProduKey or Belarc Advisor shows a completely different (but the same for each of these PCs) Product Key from that which was entered. The first few groups of the Product ID are also the same for all of this set of PCs..

The remaining PCs show the same Product Key as was originally entered. The first few groups of the Product ID are also the same for this set of PCs, but different from the other set of PCs.

I doubt any of this will cause any problem, but it is rather puzzling why it has happened. Has anyone come across this before?
John Gray

"(or one of the team)" - how your appointment letter indicates you won't be seeing the Consultant...

John Gray
PlatinumLounger

Re: Office 2010: entered Product Key is changed when viewed

Post by John Gray »

There would appear to be an easy and DOH-ful answer!

Those PCs with the unexpected Product Keys and Product IDs hadn't gone through Product Activation successfully. <groan!>
John Gray

"(or one of the team)" - how your appointment letter indicates you won't be seeing the Consultant...

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

Thanks for sharing the solution, it would have taken a while to guess that one!
StuartR

John Gray
PlatinumLounger

Post by John Gray »

It certainly took me a while, because of the total absence of obvious differences between the "good" PCs and the "bad" ones!
John Gray