Playing with Ubuntu 11.10

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Playing with Ubuntu 11.10

Post by ChrisGreaves »

Inspired by DaveInPitt I spent a few hours tooling around, then composed a record of my yet-early experiences with Ubuntu.
I rebooted on the host machine, this Compaq Presario CQ62 64-bit Windows Home Premium.
Then I took the CD to the old Dell Inspiron 2200 laptop and installed it there. Even *I* could get it working first time off.
I've not been able to get it up on the neighbour's Dell beige Box, but that is a 500GB system and both DaveInPitt and https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation/SystemRequirements say I need a gigabyte.
More later ... my record is incomplete because i don't yet know how to do a PrtScr equivalent in Ubuntu, and I don't want to go ahead until I can record my footsteps. And stumbles.

Thanks again to DaveInPitt for pushing me into the future. :clapping:
An expensive day out: Wallet and Grimace

John Gray
PlatinumLounger

Re: Playing with Ubuntu 11.10

Post by John Gray »

ChrisGreaves wrote:Thanks again to DaveInPitt for pushing me into the future.
Strictly speaking, Unix is the past - and predates MS-DOS (and quite probably CP/M!)... Whether it is also the future is a matter for discussion.
John Gray

Venison is quiet deer, and quite dear.

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

John Gray wrote:Whether it is also the future is a matter for discussion.
Quite so, John. I meant it in the sense that I have been dragged kicking and screaming into something I should have investigated years ago.
I think of all the old machines that have passed though my hands over the years, each one with the WinXp CD "lost" or "missing" ....

John Gray
PlatinumLounger

Post by John Gray »

ChrisGreaves wrote:I think of all the old machines that have passed though my hands over the years, each one with the WinXp CD "lost" or "missing" ....
Why was that a problem? For any PC, you only need to have available a small number of CDs or images for XP Home, XP Pro, XP Media Center: retail and OEM variants. If you have the Product Key/CoA then you are 'good to go'!
John Gray

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

John Gray wrote:Why was that a problem?
Well, I still think/thought in terms of one genuine copy of Windows per machine, and that meant a certified, hologrammatic(?) CD per machine.

John Gray
PlatinumLounger

Post by John Gray »

As I said earlier, within limits, WIndows CDs are interchangeable since the files are the same. The important sine qua non is the Product Key on the CoA!
John Gray

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

John Gray wrote:sine qua non is the Product Key on the CoA!
So each machine should be loaded with a unique and purchased product key, right? Which i have not. I have 3 CDs, thus 3 product keys, one for each of my machines and none to spare for other machines.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

John's remark was intended for the situation that someone has kept the product key, but somehow lost or misplaced the CD. In that case, you can take *any* installation CD for the same Windows version to reinstall Windows, and use the product key.
Best wishes,
Hans

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

HansV wrote:John's remark was intended for the situation that someone has kept the product key, but somehow lost or misplaced the CD. In that case, you can take *any* installation CD for the same Windows version to reinstall Windows, and use the product key.
Thanks Hans, and John both. Got it now. (still on my first coffee)
My poor terminology. I equate a Windows CD with the jewel box or sleeve bearing the product key.
My truants "borrow" a CD from a friend and then have a system which I (say I) can't repair because they don't have proof that they have a legal copy. (these are the same people who can't afford their own copy of Windows/Office, yet drive to my place in a fully-loaded 8-cylinder Toyota Camry)

Now, if we've exhausted the topic of Windows Licensing, about that Ubuntu ... :laugh:

jonwallace
5StarLounger
Location: "What a mighty long bridge to such a mighty little old town"

Post by jonwallace »

When I built my new PC, I thought I'd go with Linux rather than shell out for windows, so I tried Linux Mint. This is a much more "Windows"-like experience than the current incarnation of Ubuntu. The installation experience was excellent, with all the hardware working out of the box (the video card needed a driver from the "experimental" section to show off it's true beauty) and everything installing nicely in one pass. Once I'd installed LibreOffice, Opera and Thunderbird, it was just like the real thing :grin:.

Unfortunately, there were still a handful of things that I needed windows software for (mainly games for my grandson), so I went the Windows 7 multiple reboot and download of drivers install route in the end.

But see my post earlier in this forum regarding my netbook, which still runs peppermint ICE quite happily.
John

“Always trust a microbiologist because they have the best chance of predicting when the world will end”
― Teddie O. Rahube

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

jonwallace wrote:But see my post earlier in this forum regarding my netbook, which still runs peppermint ICE quite happily.
Hi Jon, and thanks.
I glanced at your earlier thread when I was searching for posts on Ubuntu, but ICE meant nothing to me then.
I'd like to try ICE, if only for the luverly green screens (grin), but can't easily find any statement of hardware requirements in the user guide or installation notes.
Do you have an idea of minimum RAM required?
Thanks again.
And yet more thanks.

(later) http://peppermintos.com/guide/install/ Suggests it can run the 32-bit on a 512 MB machine.

IllogicalLogic
NewLounger

Post by IllogicalLogic »

John Gray wrote:Strictly speaking, Unix is the past
Alas, but Linux is not Unix. ;) It's Unix based, but it's not Unix, and Ubuntu is a Linux based distribution.

In all the time I've been around web hosting for the past 10 years, I've only ever seen *one* server rack running Unix. All the rest usually run Red Hat Linux.