Apple iOS5

BobH
UraniumLounger

Apple iOS5

Post by BobH »

I know that we are not an apple community (though some of us might occasionally have a bit of hard cider), but I know there are some of you who have Macs and probably more who have iPads and iPhones. The new iOS5 is out for those who have those devices. (A word of caution before you download and install the upgrade, first do a backup; second, update all your apps including your iTunes software on your PC or Mac; third, download and install the iOS5 upgrade; fourth wait an interminably long time for the processes to complete. You will know you succeeded when your iPhone or iPad shows a screen you've never seen before instructing you to take some actions to complete the process. (Warning: OKing the "location" request for your device leaves tracks and allows others to track you.)

CAUTION: BE VERY CAREFUL WHEN ENTERING the iCloud user name and password because you WILL NOT BE GIVEN A CHANCE TO CHANGE IT (damhikt). What you should use is the same username (email address) and password that you use in the iTunes store.

ps: If anyone knows how to change the iCloud user name and password, please tell us. I've been all over Apple support and related forums and have not found an answer yet.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Intel Core i5, 3570K, 3.40 GHz, 16 GB RAM, ECS Z77 H2-A3 Mobo, Windows 10 >HPE 64-bit, MS Office 2016

BobH
UraniumLounger

Re: Apple iOS5 - Got an Answer

Post by BobH »

Just in case anyone else has the problem, I got an answer on another forum.

To change the iCloud user name and password, go to Settings>iCloud and scroll down to the bottom of the screen and find a Delete option. Use it to delete the incorrect user name and then key the correct user name and password. All should be well.

At least, it worked for me.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Intel Core i5, 3570K, 3.40 GHz, 16 GB RAM, ECS Z77 H2-A3 Mobo, Windows 10 >HPE 64-bit, MS Office 2016

Skitterbug
BronzeLounger

Re: Apple iOS5 - Got an Answer

Post by Skitterbug »

BobH wrote:Just in case anyone else has the problem, I got an answer on another forum.

To change the iCloud user name and password, go to Settings>iCloud and scroll down to the bottom of the screen and find a Delete option. Use it to delete the incorrect user name and then key the correct user name and password. All should be well.

At least, it worked for me.
Thanks for this information Bob.
I didn't register with iCloud yet....at least I don't think I did. I'll check in the area you indicate and see if anything is entered! :grin:
Skitterbug :coffeetime:
A cup of coffee shared with a friend is happiness tasted and time well spent.

BobH
UraniumLounger

Re: Apple iOS5

Post by BobH »

You are welcome, Skitterbug.

If you also put iOS5 on your iPhone, you might consider turning it off because it takes a lt out of the battery, as does Bluetooth. I have not yet found a need or a use for iCloud on my iPhone other than syncing which I can do the od way thru iTunes better than I can tolerate the battery drain.

FWIW
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)

Skitterbug
BronzeLounger

Post by Skitterbug »

BobH wrote:You are welcome, Skitterbug.

If you also put iOS5 on your iPhone, you might consider turning it off because it takes a lt out of the battery, as does Bluetooth. I have not yet found a need or a use for iCloud on my iPhone other than syncing which I can do the od way thru iTunes better than I can tolerate the battery drain.

FWIW
I'm still playing with settings on my iPhone. There doesn't seem to be any straightforward way to figure out what works best. It is a guessing game. I decided to turn bluetooth on and haven't figured out what use it would be. So yes, I'll probably turn it off again! :laugh:
iCloud doesn't let me use my already set up MAC email address. When I try to input it during the iCloud registration process, it tells me that address is not available! :groan: I really don't want to set up a brand new MAC email address. So I probably won't employ this feature either until I find a use that works for me!
:cheers:

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

Here's one reason for turning off Bluetooth.
StuartR

Skitterbug
BronzeLounger

Post by Skitterbug »

StuartR wrote:Here's one reason for turning off Bluetooth.
:yikes: Thanks Stuart! Mine is going to be turned off as soon as I finish typing this!