Add/Remove Programs Panel Doesn't Populate

BobH
UraniumLounger

Add/Remove Programs Panel Doesn't Populate

Post by BobH »

Evening All!

Looks as if I'm singlehandedly providing grist for the mill here. I apologize but I have recently encountered a rash of problems (on different computers) that I've never seen before and need help to resolve.

When I enter Control Panel and select Add/Remove Programs, the panel that comes up with the message to wait until the list is populated appears; but, no matter how long I wait, no software is ever listed in the panel. I can see the installed programs from CCleaner's uninstall function and can use it to remove programs; but I would like to find out what is wrong with the native function and fix it. I'm running WinXP Pro SP3 and - I think - it is current wrt updates.

I suspect that this has something to do with Internet Explorer because I can no longer find it in the installed programs. I rarely ever use IE - only when I have to download something from Microsoft - preferring to use Firefox instead. I don't know when IE 'disappeared' nor what - if anything - I did to cause it to go away.

I searched and found a how-to on this problem with reference to Win2000 but was reluctant to try that solution on WinXP. Once bitten is twice shy, I suppose.

Any help will be greatly appreciated and gratefully received.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Intel Core i5, 3570K, 3.40 GHz, 16 GB RAM, ECS Z77 H2-A3 Mobo, Windows 10 >HPE 64-bit, MS Office 2016

HansV
Administrator

Re: Add/Remove Programs Panel Doesn't Populate

Post by HansV »

Try this:
- Select Start | Run...
- Type

regsvr32 appwiz.cpl

- Press Enter or click OK.
Does that make a difference?

Is your security software up-to-date, and have you run a full scan recently?
Best wishes,
Hans

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Same result after entering the regsvr32 information. I got a message saying that the command ran successfully but the CP program still (fails) performs in the same manner as before.

I will start a full AV scan as soon as I finish sending this message and check in afterwards.

Thanks for the help, Hans!
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Intel Core i5, 3570K, 3.40 GHz, 16 GB RAM, ECS Z77 H2-A3 Mobo, Windows 10 >HPE 64-bit, MS Office 2016

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

See if step 3 at Add/Remove Programs tool displays installed programs incorrectly helps.

Also, in the "Resolution" section see the information after step 5.

Joe
Joe

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Thanks for the help!

I ran the regsvr32 appwiz.cpl again before checking the registry entries and tried to get to A/R Prog in CP again and IT WORKED THIS TIME!

You folks are GREAT :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)