Computer locks up

Slim
StarLounger

Computer locks up

Post by Slim »

I am using Windows XP with Service Pack 3 .
I tried to clean up my computer using a program called COMODO that was on a disk sent out by PC World. Nothing but problems since.
When I leave my computer over night and then come back the next day there is a notice saying "This computer has been locked. Only D7VBSP51\Po or an Administrator can unlock this computer."
Only unplugging the machine can power it down and then restart. It turns out that D7VBSP51 is the name of the computer.
Until now there was no Administrator. I was the only user. I tried giving myself the Administrator job with a password. Even that would not unlock the system. Still had to pull the plug to power down.
I had established a Restore point before I started the COMODO program. When I tried to go back to that restore point I got a message that nothing could be restored since nothing had been changed. So that was no help.
Heretofore when I restarted I did not get a screen that required me to select myself as Administrator and enter a Password. I would like to go back to that approach as well as not have the system lock up.
Can anyone offer me help?

Leif
Administrator

Re: Computer locks up

Post by Leif »

Check your screensaver options - is "On resume, password protect" selected?
Leif

John Gray
PlatinumLounger

Post by John Gray »

Slim wrote:Only D7VBSP51\Po or an Administrator can unlock this computer.
As you have determined, D7VBSP51 is the computer name.
And Po is the name of the account you were using! (Are you a fan of the Teletubbies?! Or Italian rivers?)
John Gray

"(or one of the team)" - how your appointment letter indicates you won't be seeing the Consultant...

Roderunner
5StarLounger

Post by Roderunner »

Hi Slim,
If you boot your pc from the XP CD/dvd, you will be able to sign-on as 'Administrator'. You can then delete the accounts you don't want, change yours to original if needed, plus rename your pc.
Windows 11 Home 22H2

Regards,
George.

Slim
StarLounger

Post by Slim »

Thanks for the replies.
This is the fifth time I have tried to get badk to you.
Computer still freezes up whenever I try to do anything.
Please be understnding when I do not reply promptly.
Your help is appreciated.
Sincerely,
Slim

Claude
cheese lizard

Post by Claude »

Have you tried booting into safe mode and then, when it's finally ready to go, instead of clicking the yes button, click NO to get into system restore ?
Cheers, Claude.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Slim, FYI: the notification e-mails about this thread are returned as undeliverable - apparently the e-mail address in your profile isn't valid anymore.
You can change it by going to Edit Account Settings. Make sure to enter a valid e-mail address.
Best wishes,
Hans

Doc Watson
4StarLounger

Post by Doc Watson »

Slim, my suspicion is that your system is overloaded and needs a defragmentation run and general cleaning. I would try using Windows native defrag utility located in the Start/Accessories menu. If you have cCleaner I would run that. I'm in an airport and about to board or I'd post a link. I'll try to post up more info when I get home tonight or tomorrow as soon as I get a chance.
If life gives you melons,
You may be dyslexic.

Slim
StarLounger

Post by Slim »

Thank you Claude, Hans, Doc Watson, et. al , for your input. I just now have gotten my machine back on line and ready for work again. I'm not sure what the root of the problem was but the computer shop here changed everything all around so it took me a day or so to just get back on line. I think things are running as well as I can expect at this time.
I'll keep in touch.
With best regards,
Slim

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Welcome back, Slim!
Best wishes,
Hans