Strange Drag and Drop Problem

ChrisJakarta
StarLounger

Strange Drag and Drop Problem

Post by ChrisJakarta »

I'm experiencing a curious problem with drag and drop. Usually, when I left click then start to drag, the highlighted icon and the file name move. However, on one machine that I rarely use, I've just noticed that although icon moves, the file name does not. But I can still use drag and drop to copy/move files from one folder to another or to the desktop.

I've tried changing the display appearance, to no effect, and also checked for a video driver upgrade - there were none. I'm doing a virus scan, but I somewhat doubt this is the problem. Googling hasn't turned up anything.

Not a huge problems, but I wonder if anyone else has experienced this?

Chris

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Re: Strange Drag and Drop Problem

Post by Bigaldoc »

I can't reproduce the problem, Chris, so this is a far out suggestion.

Go to: C:\Documents and Settings\Your User Name\Local Settings\Application Data\Iconcache.db and rename that file to iconcacheold.db so Windows will rebuild the cache. No ideas other than this.

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Re: Strange Drag and Drop Problem

Post by stuck »

I've not seen that one either.

Another wild thought... Is it a performance thing, i.e. is the odd PC a lower spec machine and/or the files you are dragging on a slow network connection?

Ken

ChrisJakarta
StarLounger

Solved Re: Strange Drag and Drop Problem

Post by ChrisJakarta »

Al,

Tried your idea for the Iconcache, without success. But thanks for the idea!

Then, following a Sudden Thought While In Bath, I tried playing with the Performance Settings (System Properties|Advanced|Performance. I clicked the Radio Button "Adjust for best performance" and all became OK again. I then set it back to "Let Windows choose what's best for my computer", and it remained OK. Well, not quite OK, 'cos Windows (in its immense wisdom) thought I wanted a completely different file layout, but after I reset everything back to my preferences,and re-booted, it's still OK. Whew!

Lord knows what happened. Funny things, computers!

Chris