Setting Folder View Options in WinXP-SP3

BobH
UraniumLounger

Setting Folder View Options in WinXP-SP3

Post by BobH »

Is it possible to set options in CP=>Folder Options that will cause File Explorer to display in a user-preferred manner?

I prefer to see Explorer windows with Drive and Folder Names in a column on the left and the currently selected folder and file names in a column on the right. I get the Folders to display by choosing View=>Explorer Bar=>Folders, but I can't get WinXP to use this as the default for all uses of Explorer.

I've been into CP=>Folder Options, View tab and clicked the Apply to All Folders, but it does no good.

What am I doing wrong?
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

JoeP
SilverLounger

Re: Setting Folder View Options in WinXP-SP3

Post by JoeP »

Given the myriad ways in which Windows Explorer can be started I think it is impossible to have it start the way you wish for each circumstance.

Joe
Joe

Leif
Administrator

Post by Leif »

BobH wrote:Is it possible to set options in CP=>Folder Options that will cause File Explorer to display in a user-preferred manner?
Not that I have successfully found. I tend to use shortcuts with switches - e.g. %SystemRoot%\explorer.exe /n, /e,c:\ - to get the view I want.

(See How To Customize the Windows Explorer Views in Windows XP)
Leif

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

I may be misunderstanding the question, but starting Windows Explorer with the Windows-E keystroke brings up Explorer in the "View-Folders" mode except that it's on My Computer rather than the root of the C: drive as in Leif's example. I usually just continue navigating from that point.

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

If the view you set in Explorer doesn't stick, have you got the tick box highlighted in the screen dump below ticked?

Ken
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

DaveA
GoldLounger

Post by DaveA »

What you are wanting is with the "Navigation" page one the left. In Windows XP, there is the "Folder" icon, which will toggle between the Nav pane and the Action (blue) pane. Once you set things up the way you want them it displayed, go to Tools, Options and View tab and the the "Apply to All folders" button.

This should over right ALL setting regardless of how you open Windows Explorer.
I am so far behind, I think I am First :evilgrin:
Genealogy....confusing the dead and annoying the living

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

stuck wrote:If the view you set in Explorer doesn't stick, have you got the tick box highlighted in the screen dump below ticked?

Ken
I've tried setting the Folder View both with the option shown selected and with it de-selected. I get the same result either way. Every time I display a folder, the Explorer Bar pane is gone. I don't know how to make it always appear.

I recall that I used to have all folders appear with the Explorer Bar pane, and I thought I did it by setting the options Ken shows; however that doesn't seem to work any more for me.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

I open Explorer using a shortcut with a target of:
C:\WINDOWS\explorer.exe /e,X:\...
where X:\... is the drive letter and full path to my default folder. It always opens with the folder pane on the left and the content of the selected folder on the right, see screen dump attached.

My view of the content of the folder depends on what I've set in the dialog box I posted above.

Ken
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Doc Watson
4StarLounger

Post by Doc Watson »

Quick and dirty.... set the window to the view you want, hold down the Shift key and click on the "X" in the upper right corner. The view should stick. :crossfingers:
If life gives you melons,
You may be dyslexic.