A User's Domain Password

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

A User's Domain Password

Post by Bigaldoc »

I haven't had anything to do with domains ever since I left the employ of KET years ago.

Can someone tell me how an "ordinary" user on a domain goes about changing his/her password? As an ordinary user, one can't normally get to the User Accounts in Control Panel, so how is it done?

HansV
Administrator

Re: A User's Domain Password

Post by HansV »

Best wishes,
Hans

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

I usually type Control-Alt-Del and select Change a Password from the dialog box that appears
StuartR

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

Thanks to you both. I won't know until I see the dialogue box later today. Thanks.

John Gray
PlatinumLounger

Post by John Gray »

StuartR wrote:I usually type Control-Alt-Del and select Change a Password from the dialog box that appears
This depends on whether or not the IT Admin person, in Active Directory Users and Computers (ADUC), has allowed users to change passwords!
If it quacks like ADUC.PNG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
John Gray

"(or one of the team)" - how your appointment letter indicates you won't be seeing the Consultant...

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

Bigaldoc wrote:Thanks to you both. I won't know until I see the dialogue box later today. Thanks.
I can't post a screen shot of the dialog box as it runs in a special mode that won't let me do a screen grab.
StuartR

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

John Gray wrote:This depends on whether or not the IT Admin person, in Active Directory Users and Computers (ADUC), has allowed users to change passwords!
Thanks John. In this case evidently they're required to change password every 30 days (so I'm told). I'll find out later today what's goin' on...

John Gray
PlatinumLounger

Post by John Gray »

Yes, the default is to require a password change every 30 days - which I have prevented since I have to do maintenance as each user on occasion, so I need to be able to log on as each user. Security requirements vary according to the organisation.
John Gray

"(or one of the team)" - how your appointment letter indicates you won't be seeing the Consultant...

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

Well it turns out the user in question HAS admin privileges on the domain, so it was a simple matter of logging on with the existing password and drilling down to User Accounts in Control Panel.

In selecting THAT user account, there was a prompt to presss C-A-D for choices and among those was the change password thing. Wow, the requirements for a good password made it tough but the job got done.

By the way, unlike Stuart's domain, there is no option for an admin user at logon to change password. It requires a visit to Control Panel. But anyway, the job is done.

Thanks everyone!