Malicious Software Removal Tool

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Malicious Software Removal Tool

Post by hlewton »

Every so often at Microsoft’s update site I have to download and install the Malicious Software Removal Tool. What is it? I have never run it nor do I know if I am supposed to. Does it run in the background or should I be running it and if so how do I do that?
Regards,
hlewton

StuartR
Administrator

Re: Malicious Software Removal Tool

Post by StuartR »

It runs a single time, checks for malware, and then exits.
Next time you are offered the same program, it will be an updated version which will again only run a single time.

I always allow it to run, since it is very quick and hasn't been know to cause any problems.
StuartR

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

Thanks StuartR for the reply. You say you allow it to run does that mean that it is running when it says it is downloading and installing? I never see it doing anything but downloading and then taking just a couple minutes when it says it is being installed. Is that when it is actually running?
Regards,
hlewton

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Yes, when the update dialog says that the Malicious Software Removal Tool is being installed, it is actually installed and run. You can check this in the Processes tab of the Task Manager, you'll see MRT.exe running for a minute or two, then disappear.
Best wishes,
Hans

tedshemyers
2StarLounger

Post by tedshemyers »

You can also run the tool whenever you wish by running MRT.exe. As stated it is another tool in your AM arsenal. Proactive security is a great thing to keep your PC secure. I just did a manual scan, took less than 2 min 30 sec.
Have a Great Day!
Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 MHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 4 GB RAM, 320 GB HD, Win 7 Ultimate 64 Bit

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

Thank you both very much.
Regards,
hlewton