autorun from usb memory stick

jaystarter
3StarLounger

autorun from usb memory stick

Post by jaystarter »

I try and help a blind friend, he has two memory sticks with portable progs on each, both are types of screen reader software. He used to just plug the stick into a usb port and either the software would run straight away or an option window would appear on the screen with the first option being "run" so by hitting "enter" away it would go. Now when he plugs in, the option window comes up but it's what do you want to do - play music view pictures etc etc no option to run. I seem to remember auto run was altered my a windows update somewhen but cant find out how to revert back if this was the case. Any help please?
Jeff

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Re: autorun from usb memory stick

Post by viking33 »

jaystarter wrote:I try and help a blind friend, he has two memory sticks with portable progs on each, both are types of screen reader software. He used to just plug the stick into a usb port and either the software would run straight away or an option window would appear on the screen with the first option being "run" so by hitting "enter" away it would go. Now when he plugs in, the option window comes up but it's what do you want to do - play music view pictures etc etc no option to run. I seem to remember auto run was altered my a windows update somewhen but cant find out how to revert back if this was the case. Any help please?
If I remember right, autorun was disabled in SP3?
However, you may be able to enable it selectively by using "TweakUI"

Windows Xp Home Enable Autorun On Flash Drives Only

install Tweak Ui Tool (you Can Download It From
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/down ... rtoys.mspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;).
run The Program, Open "my Computer" Section, Autoplay, Types, Place A Check
next To "enable Autoplay For Removable drives" And Uncheck "enable Autoplay
for Cd And Dvd drives". Click Ok To Apply The Changes.
--------------------------------------------------
If this doesn't work for you, there is a reg edit that may also do it.
How to set the HonorAutorunSetting registry key manually
Windows Server 2003 and Windows XP

Click Start, and then click Run.
In the Open box, type regedit, and then click OK.
Locate and then click the following registry subkey:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\policies\Explorer\
Right-click in the right side pane, point to New, and then click DWORD Value.
Type HonorAutorunSetting, and then press ENTER.
In the Value data box, type 1, click Hexadecimal if it is not already selected, and then click OK.
Exit Registry Editor.
Restart the system for the new settings to take effect.
BOB
:massachusetts: :usa:

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

StoneChucker
StarLounger

Post by StoneChucker »

I don't know what software your friend is using for screen reading, but the one I use, ZoomText, has the ability once installed to the hard disk, to be launched via a keyboard combo.

In my case, if the ZoomText is running, I press Left Shift+CTRL+Left Alt+Z and I'm off to the races. BTW.. that's my choice of keys, as I have many key combos for all the programs I use on a regular basis.

It may not be an ideal solution, but it could be an option at least until a proper solution is found.

Christopher

jaystarter
3StarLounger

Post by jaystarter »

Thanks I will be trying the suggestions later when I visit.
Jeff

jaystarter
3StarLounger

Post by jaystarter »

Hmmm.......well, Tweak UI didn't work. I'm not messing with the registry and installed the prog on his main desktop for use.
http://www.screenreader.net/index.php?pageid=2
A shame as he was able to take the usb memory when he visited relations and use their machines. An email to support wasn't much use (so far)
Jeff