Start menu now shows all entries

Becks
2StarLounger

Start menu now shows all entries

Post by Becks »

I use the Classic Start menu.
Up until recently, selecting Programs would show just the most recently accessed program folders or programs unless you held the mouse over a folder or the menu when it would then show all entries. However, it has stopped doing that and now shows all entries every time.
I can't find a setting to get the previous behaviour back. Has anyone encountered this before or know where the setting is to revert to the previous behaviour?

HansV
Administrator

Re: Start menu now shows all entries

Post by HansV »

Does this help?

- Right click the Start button and select Properties.
- Activate on the Start Menu tab.
- Click Customize...
- Tick the check box "Use Personalized Menus".
Best wishes,
Hans

Becks
2StarLounger

Post by Becks »

On my 'Advanced Start menu options' list, there isn't an item "Use Personalized Menus". Bottom two items are "Scroll Programs" and "Show Small Icons In Start menu"

Kevin

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

I'm on a PC with Windows 7 at the moment, I'll try to check in Windows XP later today (the 11th).
Best wishes,
Hans

Leif
Administrator

Post by Leif »

This is what I see - are you saying the bottom line is missing?
x.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Leif

Becks
2StarLounger

Post by Becks »

Correct, that bottom line doesn't appear
Classic start.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Leif
Administrator

Post by Leif »

Odd. But a quick Google shows there are various reasons this could happen. There is one apparent fix at XP Start Menu - Personalized Menus - backup your registry first.
Leif

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Another option: Tweaks and Tips for Windows XP on Kelly's Korner. Scroll down to # 73 on the left hand side. There are links to enable and disable personalized menus in the Start Menu.
Best wishes,
Hans

Becks
2StarLounger

Post by Becks »

I had no success after adding the IntelliMenus key to the HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced as REG_SZ YES and later as REG_DWORD value 1 I'm stuck with the non-cClassic start menu :sad:

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Do you mean that you can't select 'Classic Start menu' any more?
Best wishes,
Hans

Argus
GoldLounger

Post by Argus »

Becks wrote:I had no success after adding the IntelliMenus key to the HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced as REG_SZ YES and later as REG_DWORD value 1 I'm stuck with the non-cClassic start menu :sad:
I was going to post a reply earlier, included below, but since both Leif and Hans came back with replies within a short time, I didn't; waiting for your reply.

As mentioned below, this is about policies, and there are more than one.

The Kelly script, mentioned by Hans, changes the "IntelliMenus" to yes or no in the Advanced subkey of the Explorer key, i.e. enables or disables personalized menus. But a "1" in the Explorer key, above it, will remove the "Use Personalized Menus" option (personalized menus could still be enabled sans option).
(See IntelliMenus, and below: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/libr ... 60858.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; )

The link in Leif's post contains the info needed, I think: Wesley Vogel mentions both policies; you need to check tracking as well, in fact first check it. Then also the personalized menus (intellimenus) value as mentioned, i.e. should be 0 or not there.

My post that wasn't :smile:
----
I agree with Hans and Leif, that is the setting ("Use Personalized Menus). Since not there, check the Group Policy. Either with Gpedit (the Disable user tracking policy and the Disable personalized menus policy), or, for example if using the XP Home Edition, via the Registry Editor.

First check the tracking, if it's disabled it doesn't matter what the other is, since it will be ignored if there's no tracking.
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer

The value is "NoInstrumentation". The policy for "Disable user tracking", when enabled, creates a value in the above key(s), "NoInstrumentation", with value data 1. So if 1, then there is a policy to disable user tracking, and this will also disable personalized menus, and remove the option. If it is set to 0, or not present, it means that the policy is disabled or not configured. So one could change it to 0 or remove it, to enable user tracking and the menu option.
(NoInstrumentation: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/libr ... 40228.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; )

If the above policy, Disable personalized menus, is enabled, used, then it, as mentioned, takes precedence over the next and ignores it. On the other hand, if the above one is not configured or enabled, it could be the Disable personalized menus policy. So, next thing to check is the settings for "intelligent menus".

Check:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer

Look for the value "IntelliMenus" and if it is has a value data 1 or 2. If that's the case change it to 0 (adds and enables personalized menus as an option). (“1” disables personalized menus and removes the option; “2” enables personalized menus and removes the option; and as mentioned 0 enables and restores the option.) If one uses Gpedit to disable the Disable personalized menus policy, or set it to not configured, it will delete this registry entry, and it will behave as if set to O, i.e. personalized menus are enabled.

Remember to be careful when changing it; it's possible to export a backup of the registry key before edit via right-click on the key. Please ask if something is not clear; I'm sure I've muddied the water now. :smile:
Byelingual    When you speak two languages but start losing vocabulary in both of them.