sys tray printer icon won't go away

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

sys tray printer icon won't go away

Post by stuck »

Prior to Tuesday 11th Jan the printer sys tray icon behaved the way it had since the dawn of time, namely it would appear when I sent a print job and disappear when the job came out the printer. This was true for my old Windows 2000 PC and my current XP SP3 box, until Tuesday...

When booted on Tues morning the PC said my profile was corrupt and gave me a temp one instead. My IT people 'sorted' this by renaming my old profile so that when I logged in a second time it was as if the tide had come and washed the beach clean again all my settings were gone, irritating but not the end of the world.

I thought I'd got everything back to how it was but now the sys tray print icon will not go away when my print jobs finish so I must be missing something (nothing new there then :grin: )

Any suggestions?

Ken

Doc Watson
4StarLounger

Re: sys tray printer icon won't go away

Post by Doc Watson »

You might try resetting the Properties of the System Tray. In particular, try changing the Hide/Show icons settings by setting something to always hide or always show and see if making the change changes the way your printer icon is displayed.

My experience has been that sometimes a "kick in the head", so to speak, requires another "
kick in the head" to set things right. Kinda like wacking the side of the TV when the picture got fuzzy back in the '60s. :grin:
If life gives you melons,
You may be dyslexic.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Does it persist if you restart your PC?

Have you checked if there is a document stuck :pun: in the print queue?
Best wishes,
Hans

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

I've already tried changing the Hide/Show icons setting to 'always hide'. That stopped the big notification balloon, which gives details of the print job, from appearing but the actual icon didn't go away.

I've also checked there was nothing in the print queues, plural since my PC connects to several networked printers.

A bit more Googling has led me to Control Panel | Printer and Faxes | File | Server Properties | Advanced, untick 'Show informational notifications for network printers'.

It's a bit early to say for sure that this has fixed things but having done it (and cleared the printer icon from the sys tray by logging off & on again) a couple of test prints have produced sys tray print icons that appear and disappear as they always used to.

Ken

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

stuck wrote:A bit more Googling has led me to Control Panel | Printer and Faxes | File | Server Properties | Advanced, untick 'Show informational notifications for network printers'...
I think that must be correct. I have only "local" printers rather than networked, but the same box for local IS not ticked in my printers.

Good luck...