Advanced Search

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Advanced Search

Post by hlewton »

I'm sorry but in trying to keep with the forum guide lines I believe I am going to have to start two separate new topics dealing with an advanced search, 1 for XP and the other for Windows 7. Since this is the XP forum I'll start here.

Something has changed when I click "Start" - "Search" - "For Files or Folders" The first attachment will show you what I am getting now and the second one will show you what I used to get, still want, and have to click on the bottom line that says, "Click Here To Use Search Companion." I have already gone through all the advanced settings again but I still do not get the search window I want. Any ideas how to get the second attachment to be my default search as it always was before?

Thanks
default.JPG
Wanted.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regards,
hlewton

HansV
Administrator

Re: Advanced Search

Post by HansV »

The top screenshot contains the clue: you have somehow installed Windows Search. If you don't want to use this, you can uninstall it from the Add or Remove Programs control panel.
Best wishes,
Hans

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

Yep it was installed, don't know how it got installed but somehow I had to do it since I am the only one who uses this machine. It is gone now and my search is back the way I want it. Thanks so much.
Regards,
hlewton

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

If you have automatic updates set to, err, update automatically it probably installed during an, err, automatic update. If so and you don't want it to 'helpfully' reinstall itself you'll need to 'hide' the relevant update so that it isn't offered to your PC again.

Ken

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

Thank you Ken I'll check to see if that option is set. Usually I have it tell me when updates are available then I let them be installed. Funny thing is that only seemed to happen on one of my machines but now I know what to look for so hopefully I can stop it in the future.
Regards,
hlewton