Forgot password

jmt356
SilverLounger

Forgot password

Post by jmt356 »

I forgot the password on one of my user accounts on my laptop. I tried logging in under my other account and deleting the password, but to do this, Windows XP asks me for the original password on the account where i lost the password, and i don't have it. Is there a way aroudn this?

For what it's worth, i am pretty sure that the password I am typing in is the one that I set for windows, but it is saying it is wrong.
Regards,

JMT

jmt356
SilverLounger

Re: Forgot password

Post by jmt356 »

I just found that http://support.microsoft.com/kb/321305" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; worked. Makes me wonder how much security there is in a computer password!
Regards,

JMT

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Oops! Perhaps the following will still be useful to others.

Can you log in as Administrator with a blank (empty) password?

If that doesn't work, did you ever create a Password Reset Disk? If so, try to find it and use it.

The series of numbered steps in I Forgot My Administrator Password! uses a loohole in security to let you change the password if you have the install disk for XP.

Finally, there are many free or nearly free password recovery utilities and services. Google is your friend!
Best wishes,
Hans

jmt356
SilverLounger

Post by jmt356 »

The fact that all of this is available shows there is really no security in a password. If someone is determined to get access to my laptop, they will certainly go on Google to figure out that they can log on as administrator with the password field empty.
Regards,

JMT

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

If you want more robust security, consider encrypting your hard disk with a password. TrueCrypt is free, and we use it at work on all our laptops.
Best wishes,
Hans

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

jmt356 wrote:The fact that all of this is available shows there is really no security in a password...
Even with a completely secure password, someone with physical access to your computer could remove the hard disk and insert it into a different PC where they have administrative access.

That is why I always keep all data on my laptop encrypted.

The free utility Truecrypt is able to encrypt the whole hard drive with a very high level of security, so there is absolutely no excuse for carrying sensitive information around on a laptop that is only protected with a password.
StuartR