Windows XP Screen Saver

Hey Jude
5StarLounger

Re: Windows XP Screen Saver

Post by Hey Jude »

Are all your MS updates current? Are you running XP SP3 (Service Pak 3)? This could play into it as well.
♫...Take a sad song and make it better . . .♫ Image

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

HansV wrote:
hlewton wrote:I found “ScreenSaveActive” in another key – HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\IniFileMapping\Win.ini\Windows had this value #USR:Control Panel\Desktop in the DATA key and I didn’t change it
You did well not to change that value.

I'm out of ideas - perhaps it's time to reinstall Windows XP (or upgrade to Windows 7)...
Thanks for all the help but I think I'll give this last try a little while to see if is does any good. Windows 7 is not an option because it doesn't support a couple of my printers and they function perfectly fine so I'd rather not have to replace them just yet.
Regards,
hlewton

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

Hey Jude wrote:Are all your MS updates current? Are you running XP SP3 (Service Pak 3)? This could play into it as well.
Yes I am running XP SP3 and all the updates are as current as I can get. Thanks for the suggestion.
Regards,
hlewton

wasbit
2StarLounger

Post by wasbit »

Windows 7 is not an option because it doesn't support a couple of my printers
You may be surprised, which printers?
Regards
wasbit

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

wasbit wrote:
Windows 7 is not an option because it doesn't support a couple of my printers
You may be surprised, which printers?
Not really because I already have a Windows 7 computer and for one of my printers I had to use a Vista driver that I could download and for another I would have had to use a driver for a different ink jet printer then the one I have and the warning came with it that it would only preform basic functions whatever that meant. In any case I chose not to even bother loading that one.

Thanks
Regards,
hlewton

Doc Watson
4StarLounger

Post by Doc Watson »

hlewton wrote:
HansV wrote:
hlewton wrote:I found “ScreenSaveActive” in another key – HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\IniFileMapping\Win.ini\Windows had this value #USR:Control Panel\Desktop in the DATA key and I didn’t change it
You did well not to change that value.

I'm out of ideas - perhaps it's time to reinstall Windows XP (or upgrade to Windows 7)...
Thanks for all the help but I think I'll give this last try a little while to see if is does any good. Windows 7 is not an option because it doesn't support a couple of my printers and they function perfectly fine so I'd rather not have to replace them just yet.
One last thing you might try that I don't believe has been mentioned is to set the time delay for the screensaver to 9999 minutes and see if it sticks. That will stop most any screensaver issue since most PCs never are idle for 10,000 minutes. :smile:
If life gives you melons,
You may be dyslexic.

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

Thank you Doc Watson. If the screen saver reappears again I will do just that.
Regards,
hlewton

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

Well I hate to say anything for fear of jinxing my computer but I have restarted and shut it down more than a few times since making those last Registry changes and so far the screen saver has not reappeared. So I will be keeping my fingers crossed that it is fixed.
Regards,
hlewton

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

Well it worked for 5 days just fine and then today it reverted to the screen saver again so I took the 9999 suggestion and I'll see how that works.
Regards,
hlewton

Doc Watson
4StarLounger

Post by Doc Watson »

From here.....

To configure the screen saver time-out value in the registry. The screen saver time-out value for the default profile is configured in the ScreenSaveTimeOut registry entry in the following subkey:
HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Control Panel\Desktop
Note The default value for the ScreenSaveTimeOut registry entry is 600. This value is in seconds.

To change this value, follow these steps:
Click Start, click Run, type regedit in the Open box, and then click OK.
Locate and then click the following entry in the registry:
HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Control Panel\Desktop\ScreenSaveTimeOut
Right-click ScreenSaveTimeOut, and then click Modify.
In the Value data box, type the value that you want to use in seconds, and then click OK.
Exit Registry Editor.

You might want to check this setting and, perhaps, change it. That setting might be what is causing this issue on your system, if it is somehow reverting to a default setting on a reboot. :scratch:
You may be dyslexic.

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

Thank you I will see what it says although I never log on remotely so that can't be an issue here but maybe that value may be a problem so I'll check it.
Regards,
hlewton

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

Doc Watson wrote: Note The default value for the ScreenSaveTimeOut registry entry is 600. This value is in seconds.
It seems a bit strange after I checked this value it was set at 600 but when it changed by itself back to the XP screen saver it was set at a minute which I believe means this value should have read 60 and not 600.
Regards,
hlewton

Doc Watson
4StarLounger

Post by Doc Watson »

hlewton wrote:
Doc Watson wrote: Note The default value for the ScreenSaveTimeOut registry entry is 600. This value is in seconds.
It seems a bit strange after I checked this value it was set at 600 but when it changed by itself back to the XP screen saver it was set at a minute which I believe means this value should have read 60 and not 600.
Those are Microsoft's words, not mine. I should have enclosed the whole thing in quotes after the first line. Sorry. :blush:

Quick question... are you still having the same issue ?? Have you set the value to 10,000 ?? If so, it might be that the registry can't handle the number of characters in 10,000. Try entering 9,999 or, if that doesn't take, 999.
You may be dyslexic.

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

Doc Watson wrote: Quick question... are you still having the same issue ?? Have you set the value to 10,000 ?? If so, it might be that the registry can't handle the number of characters in 10,000. Try entering 9,999 or, if that doesn't take, 999.
I'm not sure if I am still having the same problem because before when I did the registry edit thing to set all the "ScreenSaveActive" values to 0 I thought it was fine but then a week later it went back to the XP screen saver with a minute time out. I set the value at 9,999 as you, I believe it was, said to do. I did that a couple days ago and so far it is still working fine. I guess only time will tell if it once more reverts to the 1 minute or even the 10 minute time out. Thanks. :scratch:
Regards,
hlewton

Doc Watson
4StarLounger

Post by Doc Watson »

hlewton wrote:
Doc Watson wrote: Quick question... are you still having the same issue ?? Have you set the value to 10,000 ?? If so, it might be that the registry can't handle the number of characters in 10,000. Try entering 9,999 or, if that doesn't take, 999.
..... I set the value at 9,999 as you, I believe it was, said to do.
Sorry. :blush: I mis-read my own post. I did say 9,999 and not 10,000.
You may be dyslexic.

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

No need to be sorry. I just really appreciate the suggestion. :clapping:
Regards,
hlewton