Missed updates

Leif
Administrator

Re: Missed updates

Post by Leif »

Dave Davison wrote:.. the criminal prices MS charges for their latest OS version...
At what price does the cost become de-criminalised? No-one is forcing you to buy it!
Dave Davison wrote:...their latest OS version which [despite offering some relatively minor changes] offers me at least nothing more than what XP already offers.
If you consider that the changes are inconsequential, then stick with XP. As has been explained above in various ways, it is no longer commercially viable for Microsoft to support XP, and that the improved security aspects of more recent operating systems cannot be applied in retrospect to earlier versions.

To continue Viking's analogy above, you seem to be expressing surprise that Ford no longer distribute spares for the Model T, are surprised that Ford wont bring the Model T up to the latest Encap ratings, and think that all Fords are criminally priced. I don't think there is an easy answer to that.

Otherwise, I echo Hans' comments above.
Leif

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

Dave,
Dual booting will give you the option of having both OSs and you can select which one is default but on boot up there is a screen that gives you the selection of either OS for that particular session. I have Win 7 as default and as I said, I occasionally go into XP.
One site for instructions is:
http://www.computershopper.com/software ... windows-xp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

But if you Google "dual boot Windows 7 and Windows XP" there are a lot of other sites to look at.
BOB
:massachusetts: :usa:

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

DaveA
GoldLounger

Post by DaveA »

DaveD,
Win 7 & XP are both installed on the HD
That should read "Win 7 & XP are both installed on the HD, but on separate partitions, or on separate physical hard drives."
I am so far behind, I think I am First :evilgrin:
Genealogy....confusing the dead and annoying the living

Dave Davison
SilverLounger

Post by Dave Davison »

.........well Hans, seeing I don't regard myself as a Techie it seems Win 7 will be the obvious option seeing I don't want to run any risks with an unsupported XP OS. Seems like I will have to pay my local computer shop a visit quite soon. Regards Dave.