Windows Update Schedule

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Windows Update Schedule

Post by Bigaldoc »

My desktop, runing 24/7 with XP has Windows Update set to automatic, daily at 4 am.

But, I consistently get the update notification shield in my system tray in mid-afternoon to evening time.

Does anyone else have that experience or know why this is happening? Usually, like this afternoon, I just tell it to go ahead and in spite of its notice that the computer can continue to be used, I generally go and do something else while the updates are installing.

BobH
UraniumLounger

Re: Windows Update Schedule

Post by BobH »

Could it be push technology? What I mean is that you have WU options enabled and MS has that information and "pushes" the updates to your machine where they wait until you choose to install them or 4:00 am arrives at your house, whichever comes first?

I'll be glad to learn the answer. I receive automatic notifications but I don't allow installation until I give the green light. I think that the update code is already downloaded when I receive the notice, but I haven't checked to be certain.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Intel Core i5, 3570K, 3.40 GHz, 16 GB RAM, ECS Z77 H2-A3 Mobo, Windows 10 >HPE 64-bit, MS Office 2016

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

I believe you're right about the download part, Bob. When I find the shield in the tray and tell it to go ahead, it starts immediately INSTALLING, indicating that the changes have already been downloaded to my machine.

Leif
Administrator

Post by Leif »

Bigaldoc wrote:My desktop, runing 24/7 with XP has Windows Update set to automatic, daily at 4 am.

But, I consistently get the update notification shield in my system tray in mid-afternoon to evening time.
I would guess that the Update time of 4:00am is when it checks for any available updates, not necessarily when it downloads them. If available, your system then downloads at its own pace in the background (in parallel with the millions of others who have also chosen 4:00am :grin: ) and eventually gets round to notifying you when its ready.

Why not try setting WU to check at 11:00pm and see if you get notification five hours earlier?
Leif