Keyboard shortcut

Dave Davison
SilverLounger

Keyboard shortcut

Post by Dave Davison »

I know that Alt - F4 closes files and folders so decided to create another that could easy be performed with my left hand so assigned Alt -Z (adjoining keys) but discover that whilst this new combination does close files it does not close folders but rather I get an audible warning beep through the speakers. Any thoughts on this anomaly please? :scratch: Regards Dave.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

HansV
Administrator

Re: Keyboard shortcut

Post by HansV »

Your screenshot is for Microsoft Word. Keyboard shortcuts defined in Microsoft Word have no bearing whatsoever on other applications, including Windows Explorer.
Best wishes,
Hans

Dave Davison
SilverLounger

Post by Dave Davison »

SORRY Hans........don't know why you mention W Explorer I had a blank "Word" doc on screen when I tried to create the said shortcut. scratch scratch Dave.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

I mentioned Windows Explorer since you have posted this thread in the Windows XP forum, not in the Word forum.

What do you mean by 'closing a folder' in Microsoft Word? Is that in the Open or Save As dialog?
Best wishes,
Hans

Dave Davison
SilverLounger

Post by Dave Davison »

AGAIN Sorry for posting in the wrong section; what I means is that if I open a folder to access a file then open the required file I know is in the folder they both appear on the task bar and seeing I don't want anything else from the same folder I simply thought I would create a shortcut to close it rather than having to use the mouse to click the red box at the top right of the screen with the white cross in it. Hope that is less confusing. Thanks Dave.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

"if I open a folder to access a file then open the required file" - where do you do this? From within Word?
Best wishes,
Hans

Dave Davison
SilverLounger

Post by Dave Davison »

"where do you do this? From within Word? Please bear with me -seems I am slower than I thought I was - but seeing there are two question marks I assume you are asking me where the folders are ! Maybe this thread should be put to bed ! Regards Dave.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Can you describe the steps you take when you "open a folder to access a file then open the required file"?
Best wishes,
Hans

Dave Davison
SilverLounger

Post by Dave Davison »

The three steps are (1) Click on the shortcut icon on the desktop for the "F" drive; (2) Open folder AA Health matters; (3) Open the file named Antibiotics. The said file can obviously be closed using the default setting Alt-F4 and the one I assigned Alt- Z. The folder can then subsequently be closed using the Alt -F4 but the Alt - Z shortcut does not close it. Just wondered why this should be? :thankyou: Dave.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Dave Davison on 01 May 2012, 18:43, edited 1 time in total.

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

Dave,

That is much more clear. To help you describe this in future, when you click that shortcut icon on your desktop you run a program called Windows Explorer. This won't use shortcut key combinations that are defined in Microsoft Word, which is a completely different program.
StuartR

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Stuart has already explained that the window in your screenshot is not Microsoft Word, but Windows Explorer. Keyboard shortcuts defined in Word work in Word only, not in other applications such as Windows Explorer.

Alt+F4 works both in Word and in Windows Explorer because it is a generic Windows keyboard shortcut defined by Microsoft that works in ALL applications.
Alt+Z has been assigned by you in Word, so it works in Word, but not in Windows Explorer.

Does Ctrl+W close the Windows Explorer window in Windows XP? It does in Windows 7.
Best wishes,
Hans

Argus
GoldLounger

Post by Argus »

HansV wrote:Does Ctrl+W close the Windows Explorer window in Windows XP? It does in Windows 7.
It does.

(It can perhaps be worth mentioning to Dave that there is a difference between ALT+F4, closing active item (window, box, OS, whatever) and CTRL+F4, closing active document, picture, whatever (file) if the software can have multiple files open at the same time.)
Byelingual    When you speak two languages but start losing vocabulary in both of them.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Thanks, Argus!
Best wishes,
Hans

Dave Davison
SilverLounger

Post by Dave Davison »

Thanks gentlemen.... as Argus said; yes < Ctrl - W > does close a folder, I tested this out as the first caption in the attachment shows so I looked up "Doc close" and it is shown along with Alt -F4. Had I thought that Doc close included a folder I would not have needed to ask the question in the first place. SO! Ctrl - W is the simple answer to my question after all so -thanks to you guys I tick another box on my list of queries. Seeing I use shortcuts every day this one will get well used. :thankyou: :cheers: Regards Dave. [SOLVED]

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Dave,

DocClose does NOT include folders. DocClose operates within Microsoft Word. You do NOT close a folder in Microsoft Word, but in Windows Explorer.
Microsoft has defined Ctrl+W as shortcut for closing a window both in Word and in Windows Explorer, entirely independent of each other.
It would work in Windows Explorer to close a folder even if you didn't have Microsoft Word on your computer.
Best wishes,
Hans

Argus
GoldLounger

Post by Argus »

Dave Davison wrote:Thanks gentlemen.... as Argus said; yes < Ctrl - W > does close a folder ...
Window, not folder per se; as Hans said. For example a Windows Explorer window (that shows folders); but an open document, file, is a window within a window, i.e. in a program (if the software can have multiple files open), so works the same.

(But it may depend on the software; in my mail client it (CTRL+W) will open the New Mail folder (inbox)... :evilgrin:)

There is an article in the Help And Support Center in Windows XP, found via the Start menu; a keyword for a search ought to be "shortcuts", or similar, in an English version. But most people tend to forget about the built in help files; and turn to Internet. Here is one example:

List of the keyboard shortcuts that are available in Windows XP (microsoft.com)
Byelingual    When you speak two languages but start losing vocabulary in both of them.

Dave Davison
SilverLounger

Post by Dave Davison »

As ever, many thanks for the in depth explanations. I sort of see what you mean between Explorer & Word and now know that Ctrl - W is the shortcut that I originally asked for. Kind regards Dave.