Disable Photo Viewer

colmac
StarLounger

Disable Photo Viewer

Post by colmac »

I use Lightroom to catalogue my images. Unfortunately, Vistas Photo Viewer insists on cataloguing exactly the same files even though I do not want it and will never ever use it. I have over 30,000 of them, so it is a major issue.

I could do without this background process running away and using resources, but I cannot disable it.

I found hundreds of similar questions on Google, but nothing I've found yet works. Any suggestions welcome.

Thanks

Colin

tedshemyers
2StarLounger

Re: Disable Photo Viewer

Post by tedshemyers »

See if these instructions will do the job:

Instructions:
1 Select "Start" and "Control Panel" from your computer's taskbar, then left click the "Programs and Features" icon.

2 Select the "Turn Windows Features On/Off" option.

3 Left click the "Continue" button on the menu option and left click the check box next to the "Windows Photo Gallery" option.

4 Choose the "OK" button, and exit the "Control Panel" by selecting "File" and "Exit" from the "Program File" menu.

There a several sites discussing different methods found with a Google Search.
Have a Great Day!
Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 MHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 4 GB RAM, 320 GB HD, Win 7 Ultimate 64 Bit

colmac
StarLounger

Post by colmac »

That was one of the solutions I had tried already without success. Not because it didn't work, but because I didn't get that option.

I did not see a "continue" button, and the Gallery was not listed as a option to turn on/off. See the image below. I must admit I was a bit surprised how few choices there were on this menu.

I tried many of the solutions found on Google before posting here. There were a couple of Registry edits. Many instructions to change the prog associations (which of course has nothing to do with whethere the gallery is running or not) etc.

While Google is excellent, finding "trusted" answers is sometimes a major problem

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

Since Photo Gallery is considered part of Vista I don't think you can remove it. All you can do is change the default program for the various picture file types.

Joe
Joe

colmac
StarLounger

Post by colmac »

Ah well I can always hope that someone finds a way.

Thnaks