Search in Vista - so frustrating!

IanWilson
3StarLounger

Search in Vista - so frustrating!

Post by IanWilson »

I think that I have asked about this before on the Lounge - I can't remember whether it was here or the old Lounge - but now I can't find the answer.

I am a happy XP user, but my wife's laptop uses Vista, and when I try to find a file on her computer I always end up completely confused, frustrated and angry.

(1) :ranton: I know that Vista used to have Search on the start menu, and that in SP1 MS had to take it away to head off anti-trust action from the EU. Thanks a bunch, EU! The main effect of that is that now I can't find anything. :rantoff:

(2) My wife has Google desktop, so if I use Windows key+F, I don't get the Windows search feature, I get a useless floating search box in the middle of the screen, that gives me no clue how to use it, and appears to have no way of refining what I want to find or where I want to look for it. Does Google desktop search even have a help file? Can I specify in any way that I want to look in a particular folder, or that I want to find a particular kind of file (for instance using a wildcard like *.jpg), or one saved between a range of dates?

(3) If I manage to get Windows search open instead, which I seem to be able to do if I am already in the Documents folder or something, is there any way to go straight to the advanced search without first doing a simple search that is unsuccessful?

(4) If and when I get a new PC with Windows 7 to replace my XP box, is there any chance that finding things will be better than it is with this miserable, useless, frustrating, confusing fiasco that is Vista?

Oh, and did I remember to say that I am frustrated?

Ian

agibsonsw
SilverLounger

Re: Search in Vista - so frustrating!

Post by agibsonsw »

You might know this already but if you open the main folder or drive you want to look in in Windows Explorer you can start typing your search term in the search box at the top-right of the window. As you start typing a box appears towards the bottom-right with an Advanced Search button.
In Windows 7 the search feature is supposed to be much faster. In the search box (top right) you will be able to type things like:
important thing;date modified:yesterday;size:big; - a calendar also appears as you enter 'date modified'. I think it's kinda cool.

Andy.
"I'm here to save your life. But if I'm going to do that, I'll need total uninanonynymity." Me Myself & Irene.

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

On my Vista system I can right click a folder in Explorer and select Search...
the search dialog that opens has an Advanced Search dropdown, that lets me specify various criteria.
AdvancedSearch.png
If I use this to search folders that have been indexed then it seems to be fast and accurate.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
StuartR

agibsonsw
SilverLounger

Post by agibsonsw »

I can't right-click for Search, perhaps because I have the Vista Home Premium edition.
"I'm here to save your life. But if I'm going to do that, I'll need total uninanonynymity." Me Myself & Irene.

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

agibsonsw wrote:I can't right-click for Search, perhaps because I have the Vista Home Premium edition.
A search on Google suggests that the right click search was disabled with Vista SP1, but my laptop has Vista SP2 and it still seems to be there.

What happens if you type WindowsKey-F, do you get search then?
StuartR

agibsonsw
SilverLounger

Post by agibsonsw »

Windows F brings the Search dialog. I'm on SP2 as well but perhaps it's because I disabled indexing that the right-click option isn't there? I don't really need it myself.

IanWilson
3StarLounger

Post by IanWilson »

StuartR wrote:
agibsonsw wrote:I can't right-click for Search, perhaps because I have the Vista Home Premium edition.
A search on Google suggests that the right click search was disabled with Vista SP1, but my laptop has Vista SP2 and it still seems to be there.

What happens if you type WindowsKey-F, do you get search then?
On my wife's laptop (Vista Home Premium with SP2) right-clicking a folder does not give a Search option.

WindowsKey+F gives the useless Google Desktop Search floating thingy.

Ian

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

There are a number of web sites that give instructions for re-enabling the right-click Search... option in Windows Vista, including for example http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/13406 ... a-sp1.html
StuartR

IanWilson
3StarLounger

Post by IanWilson »

StuartR wrote:There are a number of web sites that give instructions for re-enabling the right-click Search... option in Windows Vista, including for example http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/13406 ... a-sp1.html
Thanks. I might try that.

Ian

Pilgrim
2StarLounger

Post by Pilgrim »

StuartR wrote:There are a number of web sites that give instructions for re-enabling the right-click Search... option in Windows Vista, including for example http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/13406 ... a-sp1.html
Thanks for the link. I never realized that the "Search" item was missing since I most always use the search box in Explorer. Using the .reg file linked to in the article worked fine and no reboot or logoff/logon required. I am running SP-2. :thankyou:
Jeff

Artificial Intelligence is no match for natural stupidity!

Just Plain Fred
NewLounger

Post by Just Plain Fred »

IanWilson wrote:I think that I have asked about this before on the Lounge - I can't remember whether it was here or the old Lounge - but now I can't find the answer.

Ian ,
Hello... I have long since given up with "Windows Search" and there are two that "kick the pants off" it "Everything" http://www.voidtools.com/ and the other "agent ransack" http://www.mythicsoft.com/register_ar.aspx have fun...Regards Fred :cheers:

IanWilson
3StarLounger

Post by IanWilson »

Just Plain Fred wrote:
IanWilson wrote:I think that I have asked about this before on the Lounge - I can't remember whether it was here or the old Lounge - but now I can't find the answer.

Ian ,
Hello... I have long since given up with "Windows Search" and there are two that "kick the pants off" it "Everything" http://www.voidtools.com/ and the other "agent ransack" http://www.mythicsoft.com/register_ar.aspx have fun...Regards Fred :cheers:
Thanks, Fred. Those might come in useful for my wife's Vista PC. Meanwhile, I am not using Windows now, having just bought a Mac.

Ian

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

Meanwhile, I am not using Windows now, having just bought a Mac.
--------------------------------------
Sorry to hear that, Ian. :grin: :pcvmac: :laugh:
BOB
:massachusetts: :usa:

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

IanWilson
3StarLounger

Post by IanWilson »

viking33 wrote:Meanwhile, I am not using Windows now, having just bought a Mac.
I should clarify to say that my own new computer is a Mac, but I am still using Windows at work. So far the culture shock isn't too extreme!

Ian

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

IanWilson wrote:
viking33 wrote:Meanwhile, I am not using Windows now, having just bought a Mac.
I should clarify to say that my own new computer is a Mac, but I am still using Windows at work. So far the culture shock isn't too extreme!

Ian
I have found it necessary to change how Windows (both Vista & Win7) indexes the system. By default Windows is only setup to index User related files. Once you change how indexing works, force Windows to re-build the index.

Joe
Joe