Burning CD/DVD on Vista

RonH
SilverLounger

Burning CD/DVD on Vista

Post by RonH »

I need to burn a disc to comply with ISO 9660 Format so that I can load updated software into my BlueRay DVD Player. I am getting the impression that Vista does not support this format (it has Mastered or Live File) but there must be a simple solution. Apart from the Windows Burn I also have Roxio Creator Basic V9 installed if this is any good?
I would appreciate guidence please
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.
The only reason we have the 4th dimension of Time is so that everything does not happen at once.

June Bug
Lounger

Re: Burning CD/DVD on Vista

Post by June Bug »

I don't know about Roxio Creator Basic V9 but CD Burner XP should do the trick. It's a (free) full feature burner. Don't let the name fool you, it works with Vista and Win 7.
:music:

JB

wasbit
2StarLounger

Post by wasbit »

Ron, sorry I meant to reply earlier, so if this is connected with your previous post (which I can't find) about making a photo Cd then I would say you are digging too deep.

I suspect that the problem is that the recipient is trying to play the cd on a stand-alone Cd or Dvd player that doesn't support (ie can't read) the files on the disc.
That leaves two possible solutions:
1) The user changes to a player that can read the files (typically those at the middle to lower end of the market).
2) You find out what type of files the recipient's player can read & see if you can make a compatible disc. The file types are often printed on the front of the player, in the instruction manual or possibly can be found on line.

If I've got this wrong, give more details of what you are trying to do & we'll go from there.

Edit:
I've now found your previous post & I see it was about making a DVD not a photo CD
- http://www.eileenslounge.com/viewtopic. ... =41&t=5200" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

So to answer your question about regional coding this is a DRM (Digital Rights Management) that is built in to commercial DVD films.

Blank Dvds ie DVD-R, DVD+R, DVD-RW, DVD+RW & DVD RAM have no DRM so you can do what you like with them.

Thus I stand by my earlier answer (above) that the player probably cannot read the files on the disc.
Regards
wasbit

RonH
SilverLounger

Post by RonH »

Hei Wasbit. Thanks for your replies on this thread. After a lot of digging around, I think my problem is that I recorded the jpeg pictures on a dvd and not a cd. It seems that dvd's are OK for videos but cd's should be used for still pictures ... unless one makes a 'movie' of the still pics. My old dvd player used to play pics on either media but I have just bought this new BlueRay that insists pics on cd :sad:
So I think its my 'finger trouble' but do please reply if I have still got it wrong.
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.
The only reason we have the 4th dimension of Time is so that everything does not happen at once.

RonH
SilverLounger

Post by RonH »

June Bug wrote:I don't know about Roxio Creator Basic V9 but CD Burner XP should do the trick. It's a (free) full feature burner. Don't let the name fool you, it works with Vista and Win 7.
Hei,
CD Burner XP is now on my pc, thanks. But when I went to load the DVD Players update software file to disc using this burner it did not recognise the file. Its a Panasonic FRM FIle (whatever that is!) and Panasonic say the following:

The firmware update disc requires to be created with ISO9660 format. In case you are creating the disc on a Windows Vista PC, Windows Vista standard writing application does NOT support ISO9660 format. Please create with a supporting writing software.

So, any clues as to what I should do :sad:
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.

wasbit
2StarLounger

Post by wasbit »

I guess you are trying to update the firmware on a stand-alone (ie used with a television) Panasonic DVD player.
As you haven't told us the model number I've found a random Panasonic update page
- http://panasonic.jp/support/global/cs/b ... index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The instructions basically say download the latest firmware & unzip the files to a folder on your PC. Copy the unzipped files (without the folder) to a blank CD-R.
CD Burner XP will handle this with ease. Choose to burn a data cd with a burning speed about half the maximum your burner allows. This to ensure there are no burning errors. ISO9660 should be the default but if not is easily changed.

Once you have burned your CD you then place it in the Panasonic player & follow the instructions on the web page or in the manual.

If you get stuck, I'll load CD Burner XP & write you a walkthrough.
Regards
wasbit

RonH
SilverLounger

Post by RonH »

Thanks for your time on this Panasonic Update. I had followed the Pana instructions but the unzipped file is a .frm and it seems that CD Burner XP only handles .dxp .axp and .iso files so it seems not to recognise my file for loading onto a disc.
Or maybe its just me :sad:
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.

wasbit
2StarLounger

Post by wasbit »

When installing CD Burner XP you have the option to make it the default programme for handling .dxp .axp & .iso files but this doesn't mean that they are the only types of file that CD Burner XP can handle.
I hope you also opted out of installing REAL during the install process.

The quick & dirty way is to use the default XP Burner CD settings by dragging the .FRM file to the open programme & selecting Burn then Finalise Disc.

These are the more explicit instructions also available on the CD Burner XP website
- http://www.cdburnerxp.se/help/Data/compiledata" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I have now downloaded a Panasonic file & installed CD Burner XP.

Download your update & extract it to a new folder which gives you a .FRM file.
Open CD Burner XP & insert a blank CD-R into the drive
Select Data disc & click the OK button.
A dual pane window opens.
Drag your .FRM file into the bottom window.
I did this directly from the folder that I extracted the file to but there are other ways built into the programme.
a) Use the top pane to browse for the required file & drag it from top to bottom.
b) Use the + (add) button to browse & select your file(s)
- notice at the bottom it says ISO9660/Joliet/UDF with 0 folders & 1 file |Total Estimated Size: xxMB |
Click on the 'Burn' icon then 'Let me Choose the Settings'
In the Burn Options window select 'Disc at Once' & a burn speed of about half the maximum from the drop down list.
Select Burn Disc.

You will end up with a burnt Cd to place in your Panasonic player - & from there you will have to follow the instructions from the Panasonic website or the instruction manual.
Regards
wasbit

RonH
SilverLounger

Post by RonH »

Thanks Wasbit. I need to get some more CD-R so will follow your proceedure in a few days time ... will let you know how I go.
I have been an idot ... when I opened CD Burner XP and selected Data Disc, instead of clicking OK I was clicking Open :scratch:
I am so sorry to have cost you un necessary time :sad:
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.

wasbit
2StarLounger

Post by wasbit »

No you haven't been an idiot, it's a learning curve. Most things are easy once you know how.

Hopefully you will learn & enjoy using the programme & perhaps pass your knowledge on to others.

I'll leave CD Burner XP installed until you report back.
Regards
wasbit

RonH
SilverLounger

Post by RonH »

Hei Wasbit ... its so easy when you do it the right way. Thanks, all OK.
And I like the CD Burner XP ... prefer it to what was installed on my pc (Roxio Creator)
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.