VLC File Associations

agibsonsw
SilverLounger

VLC File Associations

Post by agibsonsw »

Hello.
This might be the wrong area to post, but I installed VLC media player and am happy with it. It offered a list of file associations on first installing and I accepted the recommendations, assuming they were all media file types.
But I noticed that is is associated with .bin files and many other which I don't think are media files.
I've found the preferences to change or remove file associations, but which other ones should I remove? How can I tell if they are media files?
Andy.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"I'm here to save your life. But if I'm going to do that, I'll need total uninanonynymity." Me Myself & Irene.

HansV
Administrator

Re: VLC File Associations

Post by HansV »

The .bin extension is used for generic binary files (not a media type, obviously), but also for binary video files (which are media files). So whether you'd like to associate .bin files with VLC Player is a matter of preference.
The other extensions listed in your screenshot are all primarily media files, although some of the extensions could be used for other purposes too. Unless you have a specific reason for not wanting to open them in VLC Player by default, I'd leave them associated with VLC Player.
Best wishes,
Hans

agibsonsw
SilverLounger

Re: VLC File Associations

Post by agibsonsw »

Thank you. I was aware that it was a binary file and shouldn't be opened, which caused a little concern. But if these files can be media extensions as well then I'll follow your advice and leave them alone. Ta, Andy.
"I'm here to save your life. But if I'm going to do that, I'll need total uninanonynymity." Me Myself & Irene.