delete Content Advisor Password for Vista

Hey Jude
5StarLounger

delete Content Advisor Password for Vista

Post by Hey Jude »

My mother has somehow created a password for Content Advisor which she has no clue
when or how she did it :hairout: So I found these instructions for removing said password. My
daughter has a Toshiba with Vista and we've gotten down as far as "Policies" but she can't find the "Ratings folder" under Policies. Any ideas?

The following steps will remove any password set in the Internet Explorer Content Advisor and allow you to reset the program to its original state.

1) Click on Start and choose Run.

2) Type in RegEdit and select OK.

3) Now click on the little plus sign to the left of H_KEY_LOCAL_MACHINE.

4) Continue to drill down, always clicking on the plus sign at the left of the named key, through Software, Microsoft, Windows, Current Version and Policies.

5) Now click on the Ratings folder.

6) In the right pane of the RegEdit window, you'll see an icon called Key. Click on it and press Delete.

7) Next, choose Registry and then Exit to exit RegEdit. You've just deleted your original Content Advisor password.

8) Restart the computer and run Internet Explorer again.

Edited to add: I found a section on how to repair a damaged "Ratings folder" so will try that. I wondered if it had something to do with showing hidden folders...will keep trying

If the ratings file is damaged, this is how to remove it. IE will create a new one.

1) Quit Internet Explorer

2) Open My Computer, click on Tools, Folder Options

3) Click on the View tab and make sure "Show hidden files and folders" is selected, you may also want to uncheck the box next to "Hide extensions for known file types" and click Ok

4) Double click on Drive C in My Computer

5) Double click on the Windows folder and then double click on the System folder

6) Search for the file RATINGS.POL and right click on it and choose Rename. Rename it to RATINGS.OLD

7) Close out of the open Windows and then reopen Internet Explorer

8) Click on Tools, Internet Options

9) Click on the Content tab, then click on Settings

10) Type in the Supervisor password if necessary and click OK

11) Select the Ratings options you would like and click OK and close out of Internet Explorer

♫...Take a sad song and make it better . . .♫ Image

HansV
Administrator

Re: delete Content Advisor Password for Vista

Post by HansV »

I thought this was about your mother's PC, not your daughter's? If the key is not present on your daughter's PC it could still be present on your mother's...
Best wishes,
Hans

Hey Jude
5StarLounger

Post by Hey Jude »

HansV wrote:I thought this was about your mother's PC, not your daughter's? If the key is not present on your daughter's PC it could still be present on your mother's...
I'm sorry for the confusion. This IS about my mother's Vista laptop--she lives in MD. My daughter also has the same laptop here in OH so I commandeered her to help mom so they would both be seeing the same screen. We were trying to walk mom thru the steps to locate the missing key. I got so far on my 7 laptop but don't see a ratings folder either. That's what we need to find so we can delete it.

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

Hey Jude wrote:
HansV wrote:I thought this was about your mother's PC, not your daughter's? If the key is not present on your daughter's PC it could still be present on your mother's...
I'm sorry for the confusion. This IS about my mother's Vista laptop--she lives in MD. My daughter also has the same laptop here in OH so I commandeered her to help mom so they would both be seeing the same screen. We were trying to walk mom thru the steps to locate the missing key. I got so far on my 7 laptop but don't see a ratings folder either. That's what we need to find so we can delete it.
Can I jump in here?
If both you and your daughter don't have the ratings folder, it's because you both don't have a password created.
You Mom apparently does but you won't be able to directly walk her through ALL of the steps, only go as far as you can and guide her as best you can verbally to delete the reg entry.
BOB
:massachusetts: :usa:

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

Hey Jude
5StarLounger

Post by Hey Jude »

Thanks!! I wondered about that as well. That is very logical :-) Thanks :-) In the meantime I requested that mom use FF instead of IE, but she gets befuddled and ends up with IE open anyways. I was hoping to have her send me a screenshot but that is a LONG shot......thanks Bob :-)

Pssst!! I love your pic :clapping:
Last edited by Hey Jude on 06 Dec 2010, 01:43, edited 1 time in total.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Even if your mother and daughter have the same model laptop, their registry settings don't have to be the same.

I do have a Ratings entry on my Windows 7 PC, but the right hand pane doesn't have a Key value (I don't use Content Advisor), only the ever-present (Default) value.
x415.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Best wishes,
Hans

Hey Jude
5StarLounger

Post by Hey Jude »

HansV wrote:Even if your mother and daughter have the same model laptop, their registry settings don't have to be the same.

I do have a Ratings entry on my Windows 7 PC, but the right hand pane doesn't have a Key value (I don't use Content Advisor), only the ever-present (Default) value.
That is exactly correct. I was trying to point mom in the right direction and give her an idea of some of the entries that she could be looking at even if they weren't exactly the same. I hoped she would see the ratings folder, but so far she can't find it. I too have the proverbial Default value in my right hand pane as well, but only show 3 entries under "Policies" as compared to your extras. Since no children use this and rarely any other adult either, Content Advisor was another "unknown" option I hadn't investigated.
Policies.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

Pssst!! I love your pic :clapping:

Off topic but it has become a bit of tradition here going back to Woody's Lounge time, that user avatars get changed temporarily to a Christmas theme. Hence..... :fanfare:
BOB
:massachusetts: :usa:

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

Hey Jude
5StarLounger

Post by Hey Jude »

Totally on topic because your pic added to the joviality of the moment :-) I must find one....

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

Hey Jude wrote:...I must find one....
And so you did, very fetching too.
StuartR

Hey Jude
5StarLounger

Post by Hey Jude »

Yours has left me typeless ROFL...

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

Hey Jude wrote:Yours has left me typeless ROFL...
It was created for me by Leif a couple of years ago, because I had to travel to Finland in November and the beetle was worried about getting cold.

I may move these last few posts from here to Scuttlebutt soon, as we seem to have got even more off topic than usual.
StuartR