SP2 and lost wireless network

agibsonsw
SilverLounger

SP2 and lost wireless network

Post by agibsonsw »

Hello.
I've installed SP2 for Vista and now there is 'No Network' available for my 3 dongle.
Has anyone suffered a similar fate with a wireless connection, and how can I resolve it?
Thanks, Andy.
"I'm here to save your life. But if I'm going to do that, I'll need total uninanonynymity." Me Myself & Irene.

agibsonsw
SilverLounger

Re: SP2 and lost wireless network

Post by agibsonsw »

No worries.. I reset TCP/IP and re-installed the 3 software and I'm back up and running.
It's a shame that a service pack that seems mainly to be there for hardware configurations disables my internet for me!
Anyhoo..
"I'm here to save your life. But if I'm going to do that, I'll need total uninanonynymity." Me Myself & Irene.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

It keeps you on your toes... :grin:
Best wishes,
Hans

agibsonsw
SilverLounger

Post by agibsonsw »

Oops, I spoke too soon.
On re-starting my computer I again receive No Network on 3. I no longer have a system restore point either.
I re-installed 3 but this didn't help. I'll try releasing TCP/IP again but this is not a long-term solution.

Any ideas please?! Andy.

Releasing TCP/IP addresses didn't help this time. How can I get my dongle working please????? Ta, Andy.

agibsonsw
SilverLounger

Post by agibsonsw »

I updated my 3Connect driver software and re-installed it. With Vista service pack 2 I can no longer connect to my
broadband dongle. I would welcome any suggestions to correct this please.

(I regret installing this service pack, but I don't even have a restore point, so I'm stuck with it now. What are the chances of me suing Microsoft for dongle damage?)
Andy.

agibsonsw
SilverLounger

Post by agibsonsw »

I understand that Microsoft is supposed to offer 'free' support for problems with Vista SP2. But the links I have found for this are either dead or lead to pages full of ads (trying to flog me more M/S stuff) and dead-ends. Grrrrrrrr!!!!

DaveA
GoldLounger

Post by DaveA »

Have you contacted the OEM of your "dongle"?
I am so far behind, I think I am First :evilgrin:
Genealogy....confusing the dead and annoying the living

agibsonsw
SilverLounger

Post by agibsonsw »

Hello. I sent an email to them and they (might) contact me in 10 working days. However, I found a solution, I hope - I won't know until it works over the next few days.

As well as un-installing the 3 software I had to uninstall another application (from Add/Remove programs) beginning ZTE_some_numbers. I also had to unplug and plug in my dongle while the 3 switchboard was indicating No Network.
Thank you for getting back to me though. I'm looking forward to printing something from my printer to discover that Vista SP2 doesn't recognise it as printer; it will probably think it's an XBox and invite me to play a game! Andy.

Claude
cheese lizard

Post by Claude »

Have you tried going into the device manager, delete the relevant network item, shut down, remove the dongle, start the computer then reinsert the dongle and let the "found new hardware" wizard reinstalling things ?
Cheers, Claude.

agibsonsw
SilverLounger

Post by agibsonsw »

Hello. Thanks for this advice. I'll note this for future reference. But I believe the problem has been solved by removing an additional ZTE application
using Add/Remove Programs.
Andy.