Get Powershell 2 for Vista SP1

agibsonsw
SilverLounger

Get Powershell 2 for Vista SP1

Post by agibsonsw »

Hello.
I have Windows Vista SP1 and am trying to download PowerShell 2 (and WMF). But it says it's not suitable for my system even though the M/S download centre
specifies an option to download for Vista SP1. (I have the Home Premium edition).
Has anyone come across this problem? Thanks, Andy.
"I'm here to save your life. But if I'm going to do that, I'll need total uninanonynymity." Me Myself & Irene.

HansV
Administrator

Re: Get Powershell 2 for Vista SP1

Post by HansV »

Did you select the correct one for your platform? There are separate downloads for 32-bits Windows (x86) and for 64-bit Windows (x64).
Best wishes,
Hans

agibsonsw
SilverLounger

Post by agibsonsw »

Hello. Yes I did. 'The update does not apply to your system' is the error message. Andy.
I have 32-bit windows and was trying to install Windows 6.0 KB 968930.
"I'm here to save your life. But if I'm going to do that, I'll need total uninanonynymity." Me Myself & Irene.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Does this link help?
Best wishes,
Hans

agibsonsw
SilverLounger

Post by agibsonsw »

No, tried that already with the same error message..

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Which version(s) of the .NET Framework do you have installed? (See the Programs and Features control panel)
Best wishes,
Hans

agibsonsw
SilverLounger

Post by agibsonsw »

I have .Net Framework 3.5 SP1.
The site the referred indicates that, if there is a problem with the install, then remove PowerShell 1 and WMF firstly. I'm hoping I won't have to do this.. Andy.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

I think you need .NET Framework 2.0 - see Download details: .NET Framework 2.0 Service Pack 2.
Best wishes,
Hans

agibsonsw
SilverLounger

Post by agibsonsw »

Seems a backward step..
Is 2.0 completely independent of 3.5? Can I anticipate problems installing this on top of 3.5? Thanks, Andy.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

As far as I know, the different versions of the .NET Framework are independent of each other (crazy, but there you are...), so you should be able to install 2.0 on top of 3.5.
Best wishes,
Hans

agibsonsw
SilverLounger

Post by agibsonsw »

Thanks again.
I re-read the installation page and found the requirement for .NET Framework 2 tucked away towards the end of the page. Andy.

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

.NET 3.5 SP-1 builds on .NEt 2.0, .NET 3.0, & .NET 3.5. From List of changes and fixed issues in the .NET Framework 3.5 Service Pack 1:

"The .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 is a full cumulative update that contains many new features. These new features build incrementally upon the .NET Framework 2.0, the .NET Framework 3.0, and the .NET Framework 3.5. It also includes cumulative servicing updates to the dependent .NET Framework 2.0 and .NET Framework 3.0 subcomponents. This update should be applied as an important update for the .NET Framework 2.0 and later versions, and it is recommended for all other supported operating systems."

Joe
Joe

agibsonsw
SilverLounger

Post by agibsonsw »

Slightly confused. This seems to say that 3.5 has updated version 2. In which case I shouldn't install version 2 and I cannot therefore obtain PowerShell 2?
Andy.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

I have .NET Framework versions 1.1, 2.0, 3.0 and 3.5 on my Windows 7 PC (I haven't gotten round to installing 4.0 yet). The newer versions don't replace the earlier ones, they add to them.
Best wishes,
Hans

agibsonsw
SilverLounger

Post by agibsonsw »

Thank you. Andy.