Windows Update settings ignored

Gloria E
5StarLounger

Windows Update settings ignored

Post by Gloria E »

Argus wrote:I have not followed what happens in Silverlight-land, so I don't have the faintest idea about that software, but it could be different downloads, i.e. updated software, a new version. As you say, if one hides an update it usually stays hidden, until a new version is released, say a v2 of a security update, if needed. As we all know a new version of, for example, the MSRT (890830) is released every month, so it doesn't matter if one has hidden a previous release. It's either that, an odd peculiarity only affecting Silverlight as Hans said, or they use the secret thou shalt have this update-command.
Argus, is that whats happening when I choose not to use automatic updates and see a notice that Windows Updates are being installed? Is that another "thou shalt have this update' as you said?
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive & well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, red wine in the other, body thoroughly used up. Totally worn out & screaming "Wow, Wee What a ride!

Argus
GoldLounger

Re: Silverlight

Post by Argus »

I'm sorry, I don't understand the question. That part of my comment was partly tongue in cheek; I can't remember any update that has been forced when updates are set to off, there should not be any. There is one update that always will be installed as soon as Windows Update, Automatic Updates, is activated, no matter if it's only a check for updates, or the fully automatic setting, mentioned below.

If Windows Update is set to "Check for updates but let me choose whether to download and install them", or a higher setting such as Download, it might happen that Windows Update itself needs an update; this must be performed before it moves on to check for available updates.

This has been the case since day one, but a couple of years ago there was a small uproar, some people had suddenly noticed this and got agitated, that Microsoft dared to update Automatic Updates in Windows when people had opted for the "let me choose whether to download"; Microsoft then had to explain why this was happening, and also forewarn people when they planned to roll out an update to the Windows Update client. All this has now calmed down quite a bit; and it is quite far between these updates. That said, these updates, to Windows Update or Automatic Updates, are usually not mentioned.

(Back in the days when I was on ADSL, and earlier, I could tell almost every time when this was happening because of the slight delay after I had changed to "check for updates"; so it wasn't exactly news to me, but some people want 100% control.)

If set to off, for example "Never check for updates" in Vista/7, there should be no updates downloaded, including the Windows Update client, and there should be no notifications.
Byelingual    When you speak two languages but start losing vocabulary in both of them.

Gloria E
5StarLounger

Post by Gloria E »

Argus wrote:I'm sorry, I don't understand the question. That part of my comment was partly tongue in cheek; I can't remember any update that has been forced when updates are set to off, there should not be any. There is one update that always will be installed as soon as Windows Update, Automatic Updates, is activated, no matter if it's only a check for updates, or the fully automatic setting, mentioned below.

If Windows Update is set to "Check for updates but let me choose whether to download and install them", or a higher setting such as Download, it might happen that Windows Update itself needs an update; this must be performed before it moves on to check for available updates.

This has been the case since day one, but a couple of years ago there was a small uproar, some people had suddenly noticed this and got agitated, that Microsoft dared to update Automatic Updates in Windows when people had opted for the "let me choose whether to download"; Microsoft then had to explain why this was happening, and also forewarn people when they planned to roll out an update to the Windows Update client. All this has now calmed down quite a bit; and it is quite far between these updates. That said, these updates, to Windows Update or Automatic Updates, are usually not mentioned.

(Back in the days when I was on ADSL, and earlier, I could tell almost every time when this was happening because of the slight delay after I had changed to "check for updates"; so it wasn't exactly news to me, but some people want 100% control.)

If set to off, for example "Never check for updates" in Vista/7, there should be no updates downloaded, including the Windows Update client, and there should be no notifications.
Something is wrong somewhere. Even though I've chosen for Important Updates: Download updates but let me choose whether to install them.

Last night,just as I ticked shutdown, I was notified: Installing updates 2 of 9.

This morning at boot, I was informed: Applying Update operation, Configuring Windows Updates.

It seems to be that my settings were ignored. Is something wrong with WU or am I doing something wrong? I read your link and it seems to me that my settings WERE IGNORED. Correct me if I've made the wrong assumption.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive & well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, red wine in the other, body thoroughly used up. Totally worn out & screaming "Wow, Wee What a ride!

HansV
Administrator

Re: Windows Update settings ignored

Post by HansV »

The above posts have been split from the thread Silverlight since they are about a different subject.
Best wishes,
Hans

Argus
GoldLounger

Post by Argus »

I have no idea what's going on, and obviously not what settings you may have changed, over the years, and when. You say "Even though I've chosen..."; one explanation could be that you changed from Automatic to Download when they were already downloaded and ready to install.

(Thanks Hans!)
Byelingual    When you speak two languages but start losing vocabulary in both of them.