How to save AVI to a compressed WMV in Windows 7 Movie Maker

jmt356
SilverLounger

How to save AVI to a compressed WMV in Windows 7 Movie Maker

Post by jmt356 »

I tried File | Save Movie | For Computer, and it allowed me to save the AVI as a WMV file. But the WMV file was slight bigger than the AVI file. In Windows XP, you can change the size settings and preview how large the file would be if the settings are applied. I did not find this in the Save Movie for Computer Dialogue.

I then tried opening up the AVI and then going to File | Save Movie | Create Custom Setting. I was able to change the settings and get the AVI down to a quarter of its size, but what gets saved is a prx file that I can't then open up.
Regards,

JMT

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Re: How to save AVI to a compressed WMV in Windows 7 Movie M

Post by viking33 »

jmt356 wrote:I tried File | Save Movie | For Computer, and it allowed me to save the AVI as a WMV file. But the WMV file was slight bigger than the AVI file. In Windows XP, you can change the size settings and preview how large the file would be if the settings are applied. I did not find this in the Save Movie for Computer Dialogue.

I then tried opening up the AVI and then going to File | Save Movie | Create Custom Setting. I was able to change the settings and get the AVI down to a quarter of its size, but what gets saved is a prx file that I can't then open up.
Capture.PNG
BOB
:massachusetts: :usa:

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

jmt356
SilverLounger

Post by jmt356 »

Thank you. Is there a way to change the size of the WMV file in Windows 7 Movie Maker, as there was in Windows XP Movie Maker?
Regards,

JMT

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

The .prx file that you created using Save Movie | Create Custom Setting... is not the video file, but a small file that stores the custom settings.
If you select Save Movie again, you should see the name that you gave your custom setting in the dropdown menu, under Custom Settings:
x1094.png
When you select the custom option, you'll be able to save your video with the specified settings.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Best wishes,
Hans