System Restore

Gloria E
5StarLounger

System Restore

Post by Gloria E »

While trying to restore computer to a previous date, I received a message that said:

System Restore did not complete successfully.

Restore point could not be created for this reason: Error detected in the Volume Shadow copy service (VSS). A problem occurred while trying to contact VSS writers. Verify that the Event System service and the VSS services are running and check for associated errors in the Event logs. 0x80042318.

In Services, I was informed that a Script error had occurred in the script on the page.
Line: 5 char: 5 Error: Library not registered. Code: 0
URL: res://c" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. \Windows\system32\ mmcndmgr/dill/
Was asked if I wanted to continue running scripts on the page? I ticked yes, twice and the message disappeared. I found that System Restore is NOT listed in Services (it was there before because I checked it ). Volume Shadow Copy was there and I set it to automatic and started it.

I've never visited Event Viewer and I don't know how to read what it says, it's not the same EV that I used in Windows XP. I haven't installed anything and SR stopped working two days ago.

All that to request help repairing System Restore. All help will be appreciated (except if help includes a clean install of Windows).

Thanks in advance,

Gloria E
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive & well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, red wine in the other, body thoroughly used up. Totally worn out & screaming "Wow, Wee What a ride!

Argus
GoldLounger

Re: System Restore

Post by Argus »

There is no System Restore service in Windows 7, so I don't know what you saw or checked earlier, and as you may have noticed the error message didn't mention a System Restore service... Its "equivalent" is the Volume Shadow Copy service, VSS.

The default setting for the Volume Shadow Copy service is "Manual". (System Event Notification Service should be running, set to Automatic.)

What do you mean with "... and SR stopped working two days ago"; is that the restore procedure you mention initially, or have you noticed something else.

As for your final comment, why rule out something when you don't know the problem...; though I don't see a call for a clean install, it might involve an in-place upgrade if nothing else works.
Byelingual    When you speak two languages but start losing vocabulary in both of them.

Gloria E
5StarLounger

Post by Gloria E »

Argus wrote:There is no System Restore service in Windows 7, so I don't know what you saw or checked earlier, and as you may have noticed the error message didn't mention a System Restore service... Its "equivalent" is the Volume Shadow Copy service, VSS.

The default setting for the Volume Shadow Copy service is "Manual". (System Event Notification Service should be running, set to Automatic.)

What do you mean with "... and SR stopped working two days ago"; is that the restore procedure you mention initially, or have you noticed something else.

As for your final comment, why rule out something when you don't know the problem...; though I don't see a call for a clean install, it might involve an in-place upgrade if nothing else works.
I will check the settings in Event Viewer and see if they are set correctly.

What I meant by SR not working was I tried to revert to an earlier date and the error message appeared. I found out this morning that I can't even create a restore point manually without receiving that same error message. System Restore is dead and I need to restore it to full heath.

Do you perhaps know how to revive SR from the dead?

I asked not to be asked to do a clean install because I'd rather do without SR than to go for that horrible process. I've done it before when I was running Windows XP so I know of what I speak.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive & well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, red wine in the other, body thoroughly used up. Totally worn out & screaming "Wow, Wee What a ride!

Argus
GoldLounger

Post by Argus »

Can you check Event Viewer > Windows Logs > Application, and filter the log (found in the pane to the right) on source "VSS", and check if there are any recent error messages.

If you find, or get, error messages try to copy them, rather than writing; there are some small errors in the URL in your post above, and some part may be missing, but I'm not sure.

There are some steps one can try; but if they'll work or not is difficult to say, it depends on the problem, and as with many things different problems can generate the same error message, hence it's a bit difficult. To give an odd example, someone mentioned that they solved it by uninstalling a certain, old, software. If one hasn't used SR for a while it's possible that problems might go unnoticed, and then it doesn't help to know that "nothing" has been changed or installed the last 3-4 weeks. And some have tried most of the tricks there are, and still didn't get it to work, and had to do an in-place upgrade. So, it isn't always simply a matter of deciphering a single error message and then use the correct measure for that problem.

The second part of your post is a script error. A start could be to make sure that the Management Console library, mentioned in your post above, is registered.

Type, in the Start Menu search box, cmd (or command prompt), to get a link to the Command Prompt.
Right-click on the Start Menu link "cmd.exe" and click "Run as administrator".
If you get an User Account Control dialogue, click Yes.
At the Command Prompt, type regsvr32 mmcndmgr.dll then hit Enter.

You should see a confirmation dialogue box, "DllRegisterServer in mmcndmgr.dll succeeded".
Byelingual    When you speak two languages but start losing vocabulary in both of them.

Gloria E
5StarLounger

Post by Gloria E »

Argus wrote:Can you check Event Viewer > Windows Logs > Application, and filter the log (found in the pane to the right) on source "VSS", and check if there are any recent error messages.

If you find, or get, error messages try to copy them, rather than writing; there are some small errors in the URL in your post above, and some part may be missing, but I'm not sure.

There are some steps one can try; but if they'll work or not is difficult to say, it depends on the problem, and as with many things different problems can generate the same error message, hence it's a bit difficult. To give an odd example, someone mentioned that they solved it by uninstalling a certain, old, software. If one hasn't used SR for a while it's possible that problems might go unnoticed, and then it doesn't help to know that "nothing" has been changed or installed the last 3-4 weeks. And some have tried most of the tricks there are, and still didn't get it to work, and had to do an in-place upgrade. So, it isn't always simply a matter of deciphering a single error message and then use the correct measure for that problem.

The second part of your post is a script error. A start could be to make sure that the Management Console library, mentioned in your post above, is registered.

Type, in the Start Menu search box, cmd (or command prompt), to get a link to the Command Prompt.
Right-click on the Start Menu link "cmd.exe" and click "Run as administrator".
If you get an User Account Control dialogue, click Yes.
At the Command Prompt, type regsvr32 mmcndmgr.dll then hit Enter.

You should see a confirmation dialogue box, "DllRegisterServer in mmcndmgr.dll succeeded".
Let me answer you about registering the Mangement Console library.

I copied and pasted the command you mentioned and was rewarded with the information that the DLLReisterServer in MMCNDMGR.DLL succeeded.

Thanks so much for providing the link. As for what I found in the Event Viewer, i'm afraid that I will have to write what was found. The information will be even longer than your reply to my post.

Should I post it here, due to it's length or start another topic? I found 3 errors that you should be very interested in. One error concerns Schannel, another concerns VSS, the last conerns System Restore.

Hope to hear from you soon,

Gloria E

Argus
GoldLounger

Post by Argus »

No need to type the error messages. Most of the time, in for example Event Viewer since there are no context menus, right-click menus, in the entries, one can select the text, the message in the pane in the middle, or use Ctrl-A, then copy with Ctrl-C and paste it somewhere.

But there are some better ways; one can double-click an entry and click on the Copy button; or select an entry and use Copy in the Action pane to the right, then select Copy Details as Text. That will copy some more info such as event IDs etc.

Gloria E
5StarLounger

Post by Gloria E »

Argus wrote:No need to type the error messages. Most of the time, in for example Event Viewer since there are no context menus, right-click menus, in the entries, one can select the text, the message in the pane in the middle, or use Ctrl-A, then copy with Ctrl-C and paste it somewhere.

But there are some better ways; one can double-click an entry and click on the Copy button; or select an entry and use Copy in the Action pane to the right, then select Copy Details as Text. That will copy some more info such as event IDs etc.
I apologize for taking so long to respond, it was for a good cause. In the meantime System Restore has been fixed. The only thing that fixed it was to do a Repair Install of Windows 7. The only thing left to do is to figure out how to put a shortcut on the Taskbar that will allow me to both create a restore point & to revert to a previous point in time.

If anyone can help me with this it sure would be appreciated. :clapping:

Gloria E

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Not exactly what you want, but near: see How to Make a "Create System Restore Point" Shortcut in Windows 7 and read it carefully before downloading one of the shortcuts.
Best wishes,
Hans

Gloria E
5StarLounger

Post by Gloria E »

HansV wrote:Not exactly what you want, but near: see How to Make a "Create System Restore Point" Shortcut in Windows 7 and read it carefully before downloading one of the shortcuts.
Been there, done that. All I got for my trouble was an invalid .vbs file. I've already contacted the articles author Brink about the problem on the Windows Seven Forum.

I hope he can correct it or someone will suggest a different method.