Windows Security Updates

Gloria E
5StarLounger

Windows Security Updates

Post by Gloria E »

I noticed that my updates included Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5.1 and .NET Framework 4. Is it necessary to have two versions of .NET Framework? Do I need 'Framework at all?

Today, I installed the latest updates (for last week) and the two above were included.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive & well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, red wine in the other, body thoroughly used up. Totally worn out & screaming "Wow, Wee What a ride!

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Re: Windows Security Updates

Post by Bigaldoc »

I'm not an expert on the topic, Gloria, but I'm pretty sure it's been said here in The Lounge that there are an ever growing number of applications and/or web sites that depend on .NET Framework. I suppose you wouldn't need it if you were willing to bypass any places that do use it.

As for multiple versions, I think the reason for leaving the older is in case a using site or program isn't up to snuff with the latest.

One of the others may say all this more succinctly than I can.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

There are about 4 different versions of the .NET Framework: 2.0, 3.0, 3.5 and 4. Some applications need one version, some another. These versions coexist peacefully.
Windows 7 itself needs at least one of these versions.
In theory, you could uninstall one or more of these versions to see what, if anything, breaks. But in practice it's easier to let them be - you never know when you might need them.
Best wishes,
Hans

Argus
GoldLounger

Post by Argus »

Gloria E wrote:Do I need 'Framework at all?
The question is a bit academic with Windows 7, compared to older OSs, since it's part of it.
See this thread, of yours, and the advise from fellow Loungers. You have also asked it here.
Byelingual    When you speak two languages but start losing vocabulary in both of them.

Gloria E
5StarLounger

Post by Gloria E »

Argus wrote:
Gloria E wrote:Do I need 'Framework at all?
The question is a bit academic with Windows 7, compared to older OSs, since it's part of it.
See this thread, of yours, and the advise from fellow Loungers. You have also asked it here.
O my goodness, I've asked the same question more than once. When will I get it through my head that the answer is to leave well enough alone. Sorry about that, I'll do my best to remember.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive & well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, red wine in the other, body thoroughly used up. Totally worn out & screaming "Wow, Wee What a ride!