messed up a file app association

Skitterbug
BronzeLounger

messed up a file app association

Post by Skitterbug »

I'll start by declaring I am a MAC user and not a Win 7 fixer but my older friends insist that I can help them.

So the problem was trying to open .RAR files that contains pictures. I thought if I downloaded free Stuffit, the problem would be solved. Nope. Not only did it not open .RAR, it also messed up Windows ability to open ZIP files. I have located a free application that looks like it will fix the problem. Does anyone have any experience using this fix or is there an easier way to solve my problem. I want the ZIP files to open as they used to and I'd like to be able to open .RAR files as well.
Suggestions are very welcome! And thank you!

:whisper: ps: Her system is 32bit not 64bit - if this comes into play here.
Skitterbug :coffeetime:
A cup of coffee shared with a friend is happiness tasted and time well spent.

HansV
Administrator

Re: messed up a file app association

Post by HansV »

I'd download and install 7-Zip. This is a 100% free zip utility that can open many compressed files, including .RAR files.
Best wishes,
Hans

John Gray
PlatinumLounger

Post by John Gray »

Worth a look through this.

The resulting default_ZIP.REG file is 7430 bytes!
John Gray

"(or one of the team)" - how your appointment letter indicates you won't be seeing the Consultant...

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

I've found the .reg files from SevenForums to be effective, so I'm sure this one will work to restore the native Windows 7 zip functionality. But it won't help Skitterbug's friend to open .RAR files...
Best wishes,
Hans

Skitterbug
BronzeLounger

Post by Skitterbug »

I think - after reading about both ideas - I'll try the 7-Zip program first and see if it solves both problems. It would be nice to give my older friend the ability to open her files on her own. Right now, I get these files emailed to me, I open them and then email the results back a few at a time. I don't mind doing this but I believe she'd be happier being able to do it for herself. I'll post back the results when I know how it works and how she gets along with it. :grin:

Thank you Hans and John! :clapping:
Skitterbug :coffeetime:
A cup of coffee shared with a friend is happiness tasted and time well spent.