An "Optional" Update

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

An "Optional" Update

Post by Bigaldoc »

Since my laptop is not in regular use, when I turn it on I usually check for Windows updates. For the past couple of days I've been seeing the attached optional update and I've passed it up, not only because it's optional, but also because it's a DISPLAY thing and I'm reluctant to let MS mess with the laptop display, rather than having HP do it.

While in Windows update, I don't know how to find out the details behind it. Seems to me in XP I could click on an entry and see some more detail. But that isn't possible (I don't think) in Win 7. Over at the right there's a "more info" link but it takes me to a page I don't recognize that has something to do with Winqual and that requires a Windows Live ID which I don't have.

Can someone steer me in the direction of finding out what this optional update is all about, please?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

HansV
Administrator

Re: An "Optional" Update

Post by HansV »

If you don't have problems with the way programs are displayed, I'd skip this update (you can hide it).
Best wishes,
Hans

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

You should be able to right click on the optional update and choose to see more details or HIDE the update.
BOB
:massachusetts: :usa:

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

You can also disable Windows 7 from offering Hardware updates.
( letting you choose to get them direct from the hardware vendor itself.)
Go to Control Panel>System>System Protection>Hardware>Device Installation Settings and select the options shown.
CaptureSYS.PNG
BOB

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

viking33 wrote:You can also disable Windows 7 from offering Hardware updates.
( letting you choose to get them direct from the hardware vendor itself.)
Go to Control Panel>System>System Protection>Hardware>Device Installation Settings and select the options shown.
Thanks, Bob, I've now chosen that setting.

But, all I wanted to do is see what the heck the update is all about and right-clicking doesn't show me any info about it.

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

Here's what I see when I right-click on that entry. I copy the details and that has the link to that page I mentioned originally.. What the heck IS that update all about? Hiding it doesn't satiate my curiosity about what the heck it is!!!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

Googling that exact term, yields a ton of hits but it appears it is an Intel integrated graphics driver in various flavors for XP, Win 7, 32 and 64 bit. Needed?
Don't know but again, I wouldn't use drivers that MS recommends because they probably not the latest.
Intel has a site for detecting their graphics chips and verifying that you have the latest and proper drivers.

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/SearchR ... D+Graphics" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Give that a try.
BOB