Brighten or dim screen = program freezes

jmt356
SilverLounger

Brighten or dim screen = program freezes

Post by jmt356 »

I am working with an HP G62 Intel Core i3-350M laptop running Windows 7 Home Basic (64-bit). I dim and brighten the screen with fn + f2 and f3, respectively. It generally works fine, but every two weeks or so, when I try this, whatever program is displayed on my screen freezes. The cursor does not move and if it is a web site, the links do not work upon roll over of the mouse. I can switch to other programs, which continue to work, but the fn + f2 or f3 combination causes those other programs to freeze as well.

When this happens, trying to shut down shows the option "Install updates and shut down." Upon doing that, the problem is always fixed. If the problem is not present and I try to shut down, the option "Install updates and shut down" usually is not available when I try to shut down.

I have therefore concluded that there is some program on my computer that causes this bug to prevent my screen dim and brighten function to fail whenever it wants me to download and update. Is this true?
Regards,

JMT

jmt356
SilverLounger

Re: Brighten or dim screen = program freezes

Post by jmt356 »

I just realized that my theory about some program causing the programs to freeze in order to induce me to install updates and shut down was false. After my programs froze tonight, I restarted without installing updates, and the problem was fixed. I can dim or bright the screen without the program active on my screen freezing up.
However, I expect that in another two or so weeks, the problem will recur. Is this a known problem on the HP G62 and if so, is there a permanent solution?
Regards,

JMT

DaveA
GoldLounger

Post by DaveA »

Sounds like you have the Windows Update set to download and install. Then when you shut down this does in fact does the install.
Try changing to the setting to the Check for updates but allow you to select to when to download and install.

What is happen is normal for most machine that are set up to download and install.
I am so far behind, I think I am First :evilgrin:
Genealogy....confusing the dead and annoying the living

jmt356
SilverLounger

Post by jmt356 »

DaveA wrote:What is happen is normal for most machine that are set up to download and install.
Do you mean that it is normal for my programs to freeze when I try to brighten or dim the screen when an update is ready to be installed?

My current setting is "Download updates but only install when prompted. When I shut down, I can choose "Install updates and shut down" (the default) or scroll down and choose plain old "Shut down" (without installing updates).
I have just changed my setting to "Check for updates but let me choose whether to download and install them." Let me see if this helps with the problem.
Regards,

JMT

DaveA
GoldLounger

Post by DaveA »

jmt356,
I was rplying your yor statement
When this happens, trying to shut down shows the option "Install updates and shut down." Upon doing that, the problem is always fixed. If the problem is not present and I try to shut down, the option "Install updates and shut down" usually is not available when I try to shut down.
As for the dimming of the screen, yes it could be related, but, I do not know.

jmt356
SilverLounger

Post by jmt356 »

I can confirm that the freezing upon changing screen brightness is not related to Automatic Updates. I turned them off a couple of days ago, but the screen freezing problem continues.
Regards,

JMT

DaveA
GoldLounger

Post by DaveA »

Then I would say that you have a hardware or driver issuse.